Forty

Kayla
"What time do you think you'll be home?"

"Sometime tomorrow morning."

"Okay, we'll see you then."

I hang up the phone after telling Julian goodbye looking at Crystal who's sat on the couch next to me I smile. We were having a girls night tomorrow was an out of school day for her and after a busy couple of days of grading papers, tests and trying to keep the attention of high schoolers I knew she needed a break.

"You look tired."

"I am I've been staying up late trying to get these papers done we only have a couple weeks of school left. Prom is in three days and it's a big rush of trying to keep everything together without it all falling apart."

"Well lucky for you your best friend has wine got Taco Bell and a bunch of Disney movies to binge watch tonight."

"This is one of the reasons I love you."

"One of the million reasons."

She laughs nodding her head as I go into the kitchen grabbing two large wine glasses and a bottle from the fridge.

"Here you are, dear."

I smile pouring some in a glass handing it to her before pouring some for me setting the bottle down I head back to the kitchen for the Taco Bell.

"What movie should we watch first Kayla?"

"Do you mind?"

"No Beauty and The Beast it is."

"You know me so well."

"That's cause I've been your best friend for literally most of our lives."

"And how you've managed to put up with me for all these years is beyond me."

"Because you know too much and I love you."

"Aweee."

I smile clinking my glass with hers grabbing the DVD from the pile we have on the table I put it in.

"Tacos yes I am so ready."

Crystal smiles reaching for the box I hand it over laughing as she takes a burrito and soft taco out.

"Julian suggested I get Taco Bell when I couldn't think of what to order."

"I'm so glad that he did because mm this is so good."

We eat and drink in silence for a few minutes watching the movie play I glance over at her.

"How are you?"

"I'm alright just a bit stressed out I'm tired and honestly I feel like I could drink a whole bottle then sleep for twelve hours."

"Why do you think I bought two bottles?"

"Because you're an angle."

"Your fairy wine mother."

"Who I love and appreciate so much now how have you been?"

"Great the wedding is all set we just need the date to hurry the hell up."

"Are his parents able to fly in?"

"Yes we already have a hotel room booked for them and his siblings will be flying in early that morning."

"I can't wait for the food."

"That's what Julian keeps saying he's ready to marry me but he's excited about the food."

"How does it feel to be second to food?"

"Not bad at all I told him I was more excited for the honeymoon because relaxing and no work."

"Wow, you two are something else."

Crystal laughs crossing her legs on the couch as she finishes her burrito and wine. Filling her glass back up we watch a few more movies I throw the box into the recycle bin clicking my feet up on the coffee table.

"Have you decided what you want to do for your birthday?"

"I wanna do a buffet style dinner just a party with some friends and family."

"Do you know what you want to do for refreshments?"

"There will be a little alcohol but mainly refreshing stuff because I don't want a bunch of people drunk."

"Are you going to invite Lacy and them?"

"I want to yeah but I don't know yet will it be safe enough like will the time difference be long enough to have them as friends still?"

"Yeah I don't see why there would be a problem with it they'll be actual adults like nobody can say anything."

"Okay well if they want to then yeah I'd love if they could come over."

Nodding I sip from my wine glass as the movie we're watching comes to an end.

"Do you want to listen to music?"

"Oh yes can you put Dion on first?"

"Yeah give me a second."

I get up walking to the small table we have next to the tv grabbing my Dion vinyl putting it on I set the needle down turning it up a bit.

"Yes, music like this soothes my soul."

Crystal sighs closing her eyes I laugh sitting back beside her as we quietly sing along to the songs.

-------------------

Literally, just a short nothing big happening chapter to take a breather cause some shit is coming my friends