Chapter 94

This chapter will introduce a familiar face to this story's universe and to answer the question I know several people have been asking, after watching the Arrow episode Inheritance, I think I've started to make up my mind about what sort of role Emiko will be playing in this story.

Laurel was sitting in her office at City, relieved that she was about to do her last interview for a deputy, since she was getting tired of people who kept giving her different versions of the same old crap about why she should hire them as her deputy mayor. Among the candidates had even been her former competitors for the title of mayor, Emily Pollard and Sebastian Blood. She'd taken an extra bit of joy out of turning them away.

Anyways, her assistant paged her to tell her that her final interviewee was here.

"Send them in." Laurel said as the office door opened and a latino man walked in.

"Thank you taking the time to meet with Ms. Mayor." the man said as he held out his hand, which Laurel got up to shake.

"My pleasure, Mr.?" Laurel asked.

"Ramirez. Rene Ramirez." Rene said and Laurel nodded.

"Take a seat and we'll get started." Laurel said and Rene nodded as he sat down on the opposite side of her desk.

"So, I notice that unlike the rest of the people who've interviewed, you haven't tried to butter me up with a compliment or anything like that." Laurel said.

"You don't seem like the kind of person who appreciates that sort of thing. And considering that I'm already the underdog at this whole show, I'd rather not piss you off by doing something like that." Rene said.

"Smart move. But what do you mean you're the underdog?" Laurel asked.

"I am not the most qualified candidate for this job. I didn't go to college, I don't know much about politics and I have a wrap sheet." Rene said.

"Then why would you want this job?" Laurel asked.

"Because the only way to affect change is to start from the top." Rene said and Laurel raised an eyebrow at that.

"Care to explain?" Laurel asked.

"Like I said, I don't have the traditional background. But unlike most of those other candidates out there, I came from the Glades. I was born there and I was raised there. And I watched as the rest of this city just sat idly by while the Glades became what it is now. Or at least, until you took office. You've actually been helping the Glades. Raising money to building new houses, getting the Glades Memorial better medical supplies, starting up recreational programs for kids, you're actually trying to help the Glades, not just the rest of the city." Rene said.

"What I've never understood is why people act like the Glades is separate from Star City, because it's not. The Glades is just another part of this city and the only reason it is in its current state is because people have forgotten that. I'm trying to remind them." Laurel said.

"And I want to help." Rene said.

"Why do I get the feeling that there's a personal reason behind this?" Laurel asked.

"My wife and I used to live in the Glades with our daughter. Until my wife started doing drugs and I tried to get her out of it by moving us to one of the nicer parts of the city, but the problems of the Glades followed us when she couldn't stop and she was killed by a drug dealer. I want to help make this city a safer place for my daughter and all the children of this city to grow up in." Rene said and Laurel had to admit she was touched by that story.

"Thank you for your time." Laurel said.

"Wait, the interview is over?" Rene asked.

"I think I've learned all I need to know. I'll be in touch within the week if I decide to pick you." Laurel said as she got up and shook Rene's hand again.

"Thank you for your time." Rene said.

"Thank you for coming in. And by the way, your daughter. What's her name?" Laurel asked.

"Zoe." Rene said.

"That's a nice name. I hope she knows how lucky she is to have a dad like you." Laurel said as she showed Rene out, her choice pretty much made and she had to admit, she now had something she needed to talk to Oliver about.