Chapter 54

"You're back sooner than I thought you would've been." Moira said as Oliver returned to the mansion.

"Well, when I found out that you'd secretly had the remains of the Queen's Gambit, I felt like that deserved a conversation. Alone." Oliver said, making it clear to his mother that he wanted to hear her say it.

"Oliver, it's complicated." Moira said.

"Then uncomplicate it. Mom, that ship is the reason dad is dead. It's the reason Sara and I were both missing and believed to be dead for 5 years. I deserve to know what was really going on." Oliver said and Moira sighed.

"It's a long story." Moira said.

"Then start explaining." Oliver said and Moira nodded.

"Years ago, an organization called tempest was formed by your father and Malcolm Merlyn. They were trying to gentrify the Glades by forcing the city's worst to do what is best. But eventually, Malcolm decided that they were moving too slowly. After his wife was killed there, he decided on his own that the Glades were beyond saving, so the only way to help them was to destroy them so he could rebuild it." Moira said.

"The undertaking." Oliver said and Moira nodded.

"Your father initially threw in with Malcolm, but he came to his senses. The real reason the Gambit was going to China was because your father was trying to put moves in place to prevent Malcolm's plans from coming true." Moira said.

"Why didn't he just report it to the police?" Oliver asked, though he knew the answer.

"Malcolm was a maniac. Your father was worried about repercussions Malcolm would bring down on us if he did and rightly so." Moira said.

"The Gambit sinking wasn't an accident was it?" Oliver asked and Moira shook her head.

"No. Malcolm somehow got word of what your father was planning, so he sabotaged the Gambit. He came to me and told me himself. He also told me that if I told anyone about it or anything he planned, he wouldn't kill me, but he'd kill Thea. I had the Gambit salvaged as leverage to use against him." Moira said.

"You were doing what you had to in order to keep your family safe. I understand that. But still, we need to have the remains of the Gambit properly disposed of, since with Malcolm gone, there's no need to have it sitting there." Oliver said and Moira nodded.

"I'll take care of that." Moira said.

"Mom are there any other things about you or dad that I should know about?" Oliver asked.

"About me, I don't think so, but your father had his own secrets and I'm not sure even I know them all." Moira said, though there was one secret she desperately hoped Oliver would never find out about, since she knew he'd never forgive her if he did.

Oliver could tell that his mother was lying which meant that there was still something else she'd done that she was trying to keep hidden, but he knew that he had to find out what it was. But before he could give it anymore thought, his phone rang.

"Hello?" Oliver asked.

"Hey, you need to get back to the base, now." Laurel said.

"On my way." Oliver said as he hung up.

"What's going on?" Oliver asked as he entered the lair.

"We've got a new player to deal with." Sara said as she tossed photos down for them to see.

"How'd you get these?" Oliver asked.

"You forget that my day job is Argus. Gives me access to law enforcement. But what's really interesting would be the calling card." Sara said as she showed them an image of a golden coin and now Oliver knew exactly who they were dealing with.

"Winn, run it through the criminal database. We need to know if this is an MO and if so, who's it is." Oliver said and Winn nodded as Laurel looked at her boyfriend.

"Everything alright?" Laurel asked.

"This just points out another reason for you to become mayor." Oliver said.

"What?" Laurel asked.

"You'd have access to intel that we need at a much faster rate." Oliver explained.

"Then we need to start working harder on my campaign. I mean right now I'm running unopposed, but that can always change." Laurel said and Oliver nodded.

"We've got a hit." Winn said.

"Who is it?" Oliver asked.

"One Tobias Church. He's one of the biggest crime lords in Keystone, Hub City, Bludhaven and White Holland." Winn said.

"And now he's going to try to add Star City to the list." Oliver sighed.

"Not if we can help it." Laurel said.

"Okay, Sara, case the crime scene, if anyone gives you any trouble, say it's related to an Argus case, the rest of us will see what we can dig up here." Oliver said and they all nodded.

I know some of you were probably hoping for Emiko to be introduced in this chapter, but for right now, I'm waiting till I get a bit more info about her and I also have an idea to use the Church arc to bring her in.