Chapter 66

Laurel was a bit nervous right now, since there were two homicidal maniacs that were likely gunning for each other in her city and instead of being out there trying to end the League's occupation of the city, she was currently preparing for her first on camera debate with her competitors in the mayoral race.

"Relax, you'll be fine." Oliver said, trying to reassure her yet again.

"Easy for you to say." Laurel said.

"Look, just stay calm. Blood, Pollard and Adams will likely be hoping you'll slip up. Stick to your platforms and try to put them on the defensive before they get a chance to do so to you." Oliver said and Laurel nodded.

"I don't know how I would've been able to get through this without your help." Laurel said as she hugged her fiance.

"Your dad has SCPD squads on every entrance of this place, and the rest of the team and I are ready to suit up at a moment's notice if something goes wrong. You'll be fine." Oliver assured her.

"I hope so. Any word from the League?" Laurel asked.

"Sara's become our liaison with them and so far Ra's has been keeping his promise and she's still working on getting more intel about Darhk from them, but so far nothing we can use." Oliver said, since even though he already knew everything he needed to about Darhk, he couldn't act on his knowledge without drawing suspicion, something he had no intention of doing.

"Good, I just hope that I can make it through this." Laurel said as Oliver kissed her.

"You're gonna be amazing out there. Just like how you'll be an amazing mayor." Oliver assured her as he went to take his seat.

So far Laurel had been doing a good job of answering the questions she'd been asked, while also making sure none of her competitors were able to put her on the defensive, but she hadn't been able to do the same thing to them either. But then she finally saw an opening.

"Councilwoman Pollard, if elected, what measures will you take in regards to the rise of vigilantism in this city?" the commentator asked.

"I plan on putting forth legislation that bans vigilantism in Star City." Pollard said and that was when Laurel saw her opening.

"And what makes you think the vigilantes will actually care about any legislation you pass?" Laurel asked, causing all eyes to turn to her and Oliver was now wishing he'd brought popcorn to watch this show.

"Excuse me?" Pollard asked.

"Last time I checked, the whole point of vigilantism is going outside the law. Something is technically already illegal. If these people were actually concerned about breaking the law, they wouldn't have become vigilantes in the first place. The way I see it, creating actual legislation against them would just be a waste of time and resources, since if you think that the Green Arrow and his team are just going to stand down and stop doing what they're doing because you tell them to, you obviously don't know as much as you think you do about vigilantism since the whole point of it is disregarding the law. Diverting city resources to targeting it is nothing more than a waste of funds and manpower that could be used for more pressing matters." Laurel pointed out and the audience actually clapped at how well phrased Laurel's argument was.

"Well Ms. Lance, what is your take on the vigilantes in Star City?" the commentator asked.

"Don't get me wrong, I have nothing by the highest respect for our police officers. I mean, my father is a detective for them after all. But at the same time, we live in a world full of aliens and metahumans and whether we like it or not, the police won't always be enough to stop threats like that. But if their actions in Central City helping the Flash and Supergirl were any indication, the Green Arrow and his team can. Besides, Star City is not the first city to have some extra legal help. Before the Green Arrow showed up, Metropolis had Superman and Gotham had Batman. Besides, vigilantes are just like any other group of people. You have the good and the bad. And while if I'm elected mayor I will make it clear that criminals will never be tolerated, but as far as I'm concerned, the Green Arrow and his team frequently put their lives on the line for this city without asking for anything in return. In my opinion, that makes them heroes, not vigilantes. And also, last time I checked, the world currently hails three vigilantes as it's greatest heroes. Superman, Supergirl and the Flash. If we make it clear that they're not welcome in our city, what will happen if we need their help, but they can't come because law enforcement would interfere?" Laurel said passionately and now the whole crowd was cheering and Oliver smiled, since Laurel had handled that perfectly and he knew that now she had Pollard on the defensive. She had yet to find an argument she couldn't win, something he knew all too well from the many, many arguments they'd had the first time they'd been dating and he was sure that they'd get into plenty more after they got married, though he suspected she'd end up winning those fights to.