You're My Best Friend (Part 11.1)

Start from the beginning

"John," you whispered quietly, his eyes closing at the sound of his name coming from the sound of your voice.

And he remembered how he had pulled away that time you kissed him on New Year's. And how he wouldn't do that now. He would kiss you this time.

You leaned your face closer to his, your hand returning to the back of his neck as your other placed right against his chest. Right where you could feel his heart beating.

If things were different, you would've thought he had just finished running a few blocks from the rate his heart thumped.

You were about to speak before Deaky quietly confessed, "'S cause of you."

His eyes were still closed as he waited, but one of his hands was now encompassing yours over his heart, thumbing small circles around it. You watched him do so.

"'S always like this when I'm with you," he finished softly, opening his eyes to look down at yours.

A small gasp escaped your lips at his truth just as he took a step closer, closing the gap even more.

Your eyes along with his closed because it was going to happen. At this moment.

Your face leaned against his, giving room between your lips that were both parted.

And you could feel your hands become sweaty. The nerves.

But John's hands were worse.

They always were.

Both of you nudged your faces slightly closer, trying to get the other to make the first move. It made you ache. The tension. The waiting. Because you could feel his light puffs of breath. And you could practically feel his soft lips that you had kissed years ago.

"John," you whispered once more, the word that made him finally make his move.

He leaned in, his lips just a few centimeters from years.

It was going to happen.

If it wasn't for the phone.

The screeching "Ring ring ring."

"You don't have to get it," you spoke under breath, praying - begging he wouldn't. You nudged your lips closer to his, trying to convince him to stay. But his jaw clenched at the options of kissing you or getting the phone.

He only got important phone calls.

But you were more important.

And so he brought his hand up to caress your cheek, bringing your head up higher to give him easier access to your lips.

"You know, John. I was thinking about Emma and I was wondering if-" Annie barged in, both you and John jumping and pulling away. You turned around to face the honey, your hands yanking at the cap to act casual. Like nothing happened.

But it wouldn't budge. You were too nervous.

John watched you struggle before saying, "You're supposed to untwist it."

"Right, course," you rushed out, untwisting it and dropping the cap to the floor, followed by a loud huff.

"Here," John spoke, picking up the cap and handing it to you. He noticed your shaky hands, pausing to give you the cap.

"Thanks," you mumbled, not taking a single glance at him and snatching it. But he was watching you the entire time. The way your hands fumbled just as they skimmed over his.

You were, for some reason, humiliated.

"What's going on in here?" Annie smirked, taking a quick glance between a blushing Deaky and a flushed you.