Orange The Manga Review

Doot do doo it's a freaking review

I'm currently halfway through the manga series Orange. I am watching the anime too, but manga first, so I've only seen two or three episodes.

Halfway through let's review

Summary: Orange is about a girl named Naho who receives a letter from herself dated ten years in the future

Summary:
Orange is about a girl named Naho who receives a letter from herself dated ten years in the future.

The letter includes instructions on avoiding her mistakes and eliminating regrets.

Most of them are small things that count towards the letter's main goal: to keep her crush Kakeru from dying young.

Characters:
I think that this story has a lovely cast of characters. I particularly like Suwa, Kakeru and the friend with the black hair who I don't remember the name of.
They are well written, relatable and realistic and the dialogue...man...'tis good.

I also love the ship of Azu and the glasses dude (sorry, Japanese names can be tough to remember haha) because as you may have gathered from my writing (especially that Eraserjoke one shot and Veil Of Lies) I just- asdfghjkl side ships own my UwU's.

Art:
The art is lovely! It's black and white in the manga and the colors are usually more earthy in the anime so I can't really talk about that...but it is certainly pretty.

It's not as stunning as say Violet Evergarden or as colorful as My Hero Academia or Hamatora but the art is very roundabout -it is better than average and maintains its own standard.

It's got this almost realism style to it and definitely knows the look and aesthetic it's going for.

I find the colors calming but also kind of sad. Just like the story...

The best part though is the character design.
All the characters are very distinct even in black and white.

I adore how the characters have little quirks in their expressions and features like especially Azu's lil fangs! 👇👇

Writing:
Pretty good. It's not really life threatening fighting evil king of thing. It might sound intense and it can be. But most of the time it's just day to day stuff. Plus sadness.

But DO NOT LET THIS DISCOURAGE YOU

ITS REALLY GOOD

it's feelsy too, I was so close to crying during
/that one scene/ when Suwa and Naho asked Kakeru /a question./

Okay and this is probably gonna be a really long anti-rant/praise but I am so happy that so far I'm pretty sure that it has had no sexual stuff!

Like- that's what turns most people off of anime! That's the thing that I can't stand about anime! And ORANGE! ACTS! LIKE! IT! AINT! EVEN! A! THING!!

Sexual innuendos and scenes make me super uncomfortable and I try not to pick anime's that have a lot of those scenes but having a few is unavoidable. Orange is probably the only anime where I haven't been uncomfortable in the slightest. Your Lie In April is pretty clean too, OH I OUGHT TO REVIEW THAT NEXT!

Anyway, yeah, the thing is though, it isn't at all sexual but it also isn't childish, in fact it deals a heck ton with serious issues like depression.

Orange is cool because like...it makes you think about life and how you're gonna live it and how important it is to be there for your friends.

Flaws
I think it's not totally fair to review something and leave out flaws.

Orange is honestly not very flawed haha. But...it also doesn't stand out like some other mangas or animes do. This is because it's not an entirely new concept (time travel, erase past regrets, save lover) and isn't action filled.
But I do think that despite that it is CRIMINALLY underrated and deserves a lot more attention.

I frequently bring up Violet Evergarden when reviewing anime because my opinions of it are mixed like trail mix. If you weren't bored by VE Orange will not be boring either.
Because VE is good, but tbh it is kind of slow, Orange is much more attention keeping than that, but not as much as, say a shonen anime.

There is also some swearing and the Lord's name in vain, but not very much.

Should you watch/read it?
Hmm. I think recommending anything depends on the specific person you're talking to.
If you like tear jerkers and slice of life stuff then I think you should.

I would definitely recommend it to people who  enjoy Violet Evergarden, Your Name or Your Lie In April.

Is there a show or comic or movie or heck- anything else that you've seen me talk about that you want me to review? Comment it!