Chapter 14

Kane sat up, looking through the open window. The clouds fluffy, and white, the sky blue, as if nothing had happened. He had lost almost everyone from his company. Their blood stained the ground bellow the sky. The wooden structure creaked as a knock hit against the wooden door.

"Sir, my master has told me to tell you breakfast is free today, and would like to see you eat." The voce stuttered.

"Thank you." Kane replied, softly not to disturb the resting woman on the single bed.

The rugged man closed his eyes remembering the day his companions died. He had taken the damsel a distance off, mending her wounds with a potion he had bought at the Temple of Uphena. He had also gathered the leftover gold coins form his fallen party, knowing they would come in handy.

"Kane" the voice paused, "Where be I?"

"You're at the Dragon's Breath Inn. I have been watching over your wounds intently. You need your rest and gather your strength." Kane replied.

"Kane we need be hunting that monster down!" Senyela shouted, sitting up in bed.

The damsel twitched at the pain in her chest, finding Kane sitting in a stool, glancing out the window. Blood stained his jerkin tossed to the corner of the room. His sword sheath empty, and his short sword resting against the wooden chair the man now sat in.

"No, we regroup. We obviously can't hurt him with any of our current weapons." Kane replied.

Senyela sat in her bed clenching the sheets, she lay in. Kane glanced back, walking over to the bed side.

"How long have I been out? Ye look like ye haven't slept in days." Senyela said.

"I haven't slept a full night's rest in a week; you have been out for about a week in a half." Kane replied.

"What!" Senyela replied.

"Calm down and rest. You need to heal." Kane replied, his hair falling half way between his eyes.

"How can I rest, when my men are dead?" Senyela said with a raised voice.

"Because running out there wounded will insure death, wait, be patient. I'm going down stairs to bring you breakfast, until then rest, we can discuss a plan when I return." Kane replied.

Senyela nodded as the rugged man exited the room, locking the wooden door behind him. Kane walked slowly down the steps, entering the bar table, looking at the bald man dishing out another drink to a morning customer.

"Ey, I haven't seen thee in days!" the man yelled.

"I need breakfast." Kane replied

"Yes, yes, yes. Um, here you go!" the bald fellow said, "And thanks for repelling the Iron Knight from our town."

"I'm only sorry I wasn't able to do more." Kane replied grabbing the tray of food.

As the man moved through the crowd to the stairs, he caught whispering voices. Kane turned his voice listing more intently to the conversation.

"I'm telling you, I know the baron!" the black skinned beggar shouted.

Kane tilted his head, trying to catch more.

"I know the man in the Iron Suit!" the man said, being shoved to the side.

Kane walked towards the man, placing the breakfast on the table beside him, taking a seat next to the man.