Chapter 12

It was three weeks out, and Kane still didn't know the names of all the companions with him, but he didn't find it necessary to know all their names either. Kane had taken a liking to the damsel Senyela. It must have been her blue eyes that reminded him of his mother, Eve. In the past few days, they ate small game, thanks' to her king eye with her bow. Kane didn't like what he felt, and wanted to keep it to him, hoping it would pass. The company had reached a field with man tall grass in the area; the baron had stopped them for further investigation.

"What do you think Sir William the Strong?" Baron Ile asked.

"Two words, baron, raptor bate." Sir William announced.

"Kane?" the baron asked.

"I worth willed chance, this will cut are travels by three days ride, and we'll be upon the area in an hour's time. There is again no guaranty that raptors are indeed in the grass, though I would say it is unlikely. I think we are seasoned warriors who can take this small challenge." Kane replied.

"What about your talk about not taking unnecessary risk?" Senyela asked.

"I would walk through this grass." Kane replied, "A pack of raptors are still predictable animals."

"Can you believe him?" Sir, William raised his hand in disbelief, "He actually wants us to go through the grass."

"I understand, if you all rather travel round, not everyone here has been trained as I." Kane said with facts.

"You keep talking big, what makes you think you could walk through a raptor field without being noticed." A soldier from Senyela's company said.

"I've done it before." Kane replied, with a straight face.

"Yeah, and you wrestled a bear with your bare hands." The soldier mocked.

"I apologies I meant no offense. But I must say I find your lack of faith insulting, never had such people doubted my abilities before. If you like, I can walk through along, and meet with you in three days' time?"

"Seriously." The soldier said, jumping off his horse, "And what makes you so tuff."

"Stand down soldier!" Senyela command, as the soldier walked up to Kane.

Kane leaped off his horse, sizing up the man in front of him. They were roughly the same size, given a few inches on the other man. Kane smiled. Brushing off his shoulder, Kane smiled at him.

"You don't want to do this. I rather not fight, especially at a moment like this, follow your commander's words and saddle back up. It's not worth it."

"Says who?" The soldier yelled, "I'm wondering why we even brought you."

"Soldier" Senyela shouted.

Suddenly Kane caught the man's flying fist, The Wyvern Knights, wowing. The baron himself looked impressed, and Senyela disappointed.

"I'm going to let go of your hand, but will you walk away?" Kane said.

The man went for another bunch, trying to sock Kane in the jaw, as Kane caught the other one as well.

"Stand down soldier! Fall back into line!' Senyela shouted, as Kane shoved the man to the side.

Stumbling over, in humiliation, the man turned back with a clenched fist. Kane saddled his horse watching as the man approached once more. Kane just shook his head.

"Stop, now." The damsel replied, pointing an arrow at her own soldier, "I have no use for soldiers unwilling to follow commands, saddle your horse."