Chapter Forty: I Could Ask You The Same Question

Thomas sat on the edge of our bed, staring at the wall. I stood by the door, listening for Ralph and Hannah, making sure they wouldn't overhear us.

"So...you gonna, say anything or..." He looked up at me with hard eyes and I trailed off.

"So, if you keep using your powers...or if you do that, whatever you called it again...in your mind everything that's happened since you were a teenager never happened?" I nodded.

"Apparently."

"And you're just planning on keeping this a secret from your husband and your daughter?" I sighed.

"You were in there earlier. You saw what we're up against. With Cicada, the new Metas, and now meta tech that can make even normal people dangerous? Does now really seem like the time to spring that on them?"

"So lying to them is the alternative?" He asked. I bit my lip.

"We need all hands on deck, especially Metahumans. They need to be focused on other things. So, my hope is that you, Cisco and I can get this figured out and taken care so we can just get it out of the way." He shook his head.

"Lying to your husband...that's quite a healthy marriage philosophy you've got there, Lo."

"What choice do I have?"

"About a billion other choices!" He whisper-yelled. "What's gonna happen if you lose your memory, and Ralph and Hannah find out after its too late? What's that going to do them?" I leaned back against the wall. "Laura, this is the kind of stuff that destroys people. Destroys families."

"Then help me figure out how to stop it." I said, looking at him again. "Look over the brain scans, do some medical research, figure out a way to fix this."

"I was barely a medical student, and you want me to fix a complex brain function disorder without any similar cases to go on?" I looked down at the floor. He sighed."I'll work with Cisco, see what I can do. And I can't force you to do anything, but...I think you should tell them."

"I can't." I whispered."I wish I could too but this...this is the right thing to do, for the good of everyone."

"Well you know what Laura? Sometimes you need to stop thinking of 'the good of everyone', and think about the good of the people that care about you the most. And the good of yourself." He stood up, walking out of the room without a word. I slid down the wall, crouching down and burying my head in my hands. This whole thing is such a mess. I heard the door tap open and stood up abruptly to see Ralph coming in.

"Hey...you ok?" He asked, closing the door behind him. I nodded. "I can tell something's wrong. What's going on?"

You could just tell him. He's asking, it would be so easy. Everyone's telling you to. Maybe you should take their advice.

"It's just..." I sighed. "I'm just annoyed. You know? It sucks not being able to help, you know?"

You lied. This is beyond just not telling him, you flat out lied. And you already did it so there's not going back now.

"You'll get back out there eventually." He said, putting his hands gently on my shoulders. "Caitlin will figure out what's the deal with you and Cisco's wounds and you'll be back in the field in no time." I smiled halfheartedly at him.

"Thanks...I hope you're right."

You're not.

"That does happen every now and then. Sherloque said so." I smiled.

"Good job with that, by the way. You are the best detective I know." He smiled, tucking my hair behind my ear.

"I love you. You know that, don't you?" I put my hand over his.