Chapter Twenty-Two: My Brother

I stood there, frozen, unsure of what to do as the memories flashed through my head. The news playing on the TV, my Mom crying, my dad nearly putting his fist through a wall. Feelings of pain, and sadness and anger all washed up all at once as my older brother stood there, smiling at me as if nothing had happened. He went to hug me, but I backed up, so he stopped.

"Laura...you look good. You've grown up quite a bit."

"Yeah, well...that's what happens when you get life in prison while your sister's in high school." I pointed out. "How are you even here right now?"

"Well, uh...thanks to your buddy, Barry Allen, my lawyer decided to look into my case, and they found some new evidence."

"He was cleared of any and all charges, Laura." My mom said. "He didn't do it."

"I...how?"

"Someone set me up." I shook my head.

"But, the...the depression, the outbursts...you acted absolutely insane!"

"Yeah, well...when someone is terrorizing you and threatening your family and there's nothing you can do about it...it would drive anyone mad." He said.

"What are you talking about?" I asked. 

"Well..." He trailed off, his eyes looking behind me. I turned around the see that Ralph and my Dad had entered the room. I'd almost forgotten he was here. "Who's this?" I turned back around.

"This is Ralph...my fiance." I told him.

"And...who's this?" Ralph asked, stepping up beside me.

"Ralph...this is my brother...Thomas." He furrowed his eyebrows at me.

"Yeah...that one." Thomas told him. "If you're here fiance, I'm sure she's told you about her psychotic, murdering brother."

"Thomas, I don't know if you were aware of this, but you did very little to convince any of us that you were innocent." Dad told him. "Besides that, she was just a kid at the time, how was she supposed to know that you weren't a killer when you were prancing around the house screaming  like a maniac!"

"Tim," Mom pleaded.

"No! Stephanie, no he does not get to come in here acting as if he has a right to be angry at Laura. If you want to be mad at anyone, be mad at your mother and I, but you are not gonna do that to her, much less in front of our guest." Thomas expression softened.

"I think it would be best for you to leave now, Thomas." Mom said. He shook his head.

"I can't believe this." He said. "It's funny, you never think you're going to be abandoned by your own family."

"You weren't abandoned by your family. Because the Thomas that was my son abandoned us a long time ago."Dad told him. "Now get out of my house."

Thomas shook his head, giving me one last look before turning and leaving the house.

"I'm sorry you had to see that." I said quietly, looking down at the floor.

"We should be going now." Debbie said, walking into the room. "It seems you guys have a lot to talk about. Ralph can come with me back to my hotel."

"Nonsense," Mom said, "You two will be family soon enough. There's no reason we should let this ruin our evening."

"Are you sure?" She asked.

"Of course.  Laura, would you mind giving me a hand with the dishes?"

"Oh, no worries. Let me help."Debbie said, wrapping an arm around her shoulders and leading her to the kitchen. Dad shook his head, walking down the hallway in the direction of his office, leaving Ralph and I alone in the living room.