Vacation

As I tug my suitcase down the hall to the door with all the other luggage I hear the now familiar of the metal mail slot opening and closing. I drop my suitcase and rush to pick up the mail before anyone else can. Ever since Jerome left he's been sending letters keeping me up to date with all the drama of the circus and all. Every letter I keep in a box along with a single picture we took together before I left.

I rummage through the mail till I find a single envelope with my name on it. I sent my letter two days before saying that we would be leaving for the road trip today and that I would see him soon.

I go back to my room opening the letter and instantly smiling when I see his neat handwriting.

Dear (y/n) every day has been a battle without you there to hold me up and encourage me to keep moving. Yet I still do knowing I will get to see you soon. I don't know how we've survived months on end without seeing each other. When I see you I might just faint thinking it was all a dream, but when I wake and see that you're there I will never let you go. I hope you are as excited to see me as I am you. See you soon doll can't wait to look into your beautiful eyes once again. - Jerome

I pull the note to my chest and twirl around my room falling onto my bed signing happily. "You know it's awful weird that every 2 weeks you clutch a letter and blush madly," Barbra says standing from the doorway. I sit up blushing even harder. "So who is it?" She asks smirking.

"Nobody. Just a friend." "A friend miles away? Who even sends letters anymore?" "He doesn't have a phone. It's complicated. He travels a lot." I say placing the note with the others in the box. "Ohh so it is a him. Better not let your dad know." "Oh trust me I've got that covered." I smile placing my sunglasses on my head and walking out. Barbra places an arm around me. "That's my girl."

Barbra may be with my dad, but she's definitely more of a friend than a mother figure. I can always come to her knowing she'd never judge me.

"You girls ready?" My dad asks carrying his bags. "We sure are. We're just gonna soak up the sun." Barbra says walking over to my father and wrapping her arms around him. We walk outside and to my surprise, I see a jet black shiny RV. "Dad? Why did you get this? It thought we were going to find hotels for every stop." "I figured I'd be cheaper, and we could stay right near the beach." "So I won't be able to use the car?" "Why would you need to use the car? The whole point was for us to be together." I chew on my lip and walk inside the RV and plop on the couch.

Ok, this still might work. I can catch a ride or something. Maybe have Barbra cover for me. "everyone ready? First, stop hot sunny beach! To soak up some sun!" My dad yells excitedly. I cover my face trying to cover my laughter. he's never been this embarrassing. I'm so happy no ones around here right now.

Hours and many complaints later we make it to the sunny beach. Sand for miles, but something else catches my eye. On the sand away from the ocean is a big red and white striped tent, and a sign in the distance saying Haly's Circus.

I quietly Yelp in excitement jumping up and down. My dad pulls up to a parking space accompanied by a few other RV's and gets up. "So beach right away? Or stay in for the night?" I hear my father's voice as I keep staring at the tent.

"Since you're tired from driving all day how about (y/n) and I go do a bit of shopping while you get some rest. How does that sound?" Barb says rubbing my father's shoulders and giving me a little wink.

"You okay with that (y/n)?" My dad asks looking at me. "Yeah. Perfect actually." I say grabbing my purse. "See you later babe," Barb says and walks out the door with me.

"So I saw you eyeing that circus, and I might have read the letters under your bed while you were at school so I know he's there. I'll go shopping around and then wait for you out here deal?" I jump onto Barbra hugging her tightly. "Thank you so much!" I say running away towards the circus.

As I come closer I see members walking around holding props and moving games around. I move my eyes to see a fiery head of hair wiping the glass on the ticket booth with a cloth. I smile and make my way over to him. "You missed a spot." I speak my heart beating fast. He turns around and drops the cloth as he sees my face.

He doesn't say anything but only grabs my face and connects our lips. "I thought you weren't going to come." He says holding my face close to his. "Why would you think that? I told you I would." "Yes, but I haven't gotten any letters from you for 3 months. I kept sending them hoping I could convince you to come see me.

"3 months? I send one every week." Jerome furrows his eyebrows looking at me. "Well never mind that you're here now." I press my lips to his once again. I just wish we could stay like this forever. "Come with me. I have something to give you." Jerome grabs my hand and leads me to the back of the trailer. "Stay here I'll be back." I nod my head as Jerome walks into the trailer. As soon as he does I hear screaming.

"WHAT HAVE I TOLD YOU? DON'T COME IN HERE! GOD YOU WORTHLESS PIECE OF SHIT!" I rush to the front as Jerome comes out at the same time with a small brown box and a red cheek. He looks at me apologetically and pulls me away from the circus.

"Jerome. Stop." He continues to pull me away till we get near the peer. "Jerome look at me." I say pulling his face to me. I look at his cheek and see a very visible hand print now. "Did your mother do this?" "Just forget about it, please. There's nothing you can do." "Jerome my dad's a cop he can help you. You don't have to live like this." Jerome grabs my hands shaking his head. "No. Let's just not talk about it please." He sniffles. I sigh nodding my head. I will do something about it in the future if it continues. "Okay."

"Now I have something for you." Jerome opens the brown box shuffling his feel. "Close your eyes doll." I close my eyes with a small smile. What could he possibly be doing.

"Ok open." I peel my eyelids open to see Jerome on one knee holding a silver ring in his hand. "Now don't freak out. It's not what you think." I let out a sigh of relief, but still very nervous about what he's doing.

"(y/n) I know we haven't spent a lot of time together, but we have talked for months and got to know each other. I've never had someone who I could call my friend and my lover. Would you do me the honor and be my girlfriend? I know it will be just as hard as before not seeing each other, but I can't live every day knowing that you're still there and very available to anyone who wants you. This ring is a promise. A promise to you that I will be faithful, and try my very best to make you happy. So will you please accept this ring and be mine officially?"

I place my hand over my mouth smiling out of true happiness. "Of course Jerome." He slides the ring on my finger and hugs me tightly. The rest of the night we spent laying out on the beach watching the stars, and occasionally making out. What can I say? He's irresistible.