Chapter 22

Rose

I was scared. To be honest it looked like Robert was afraid too, but he hid it quickly, from me or for himself I was not sure.

'Don't do anything' he says before turning and starting to swim back towards the far end of the pool. I know what he means.

He gets halfway across the pool and then I make the water push him the rest of the way. He gets up and out of the pool and shoots me a grateful glance before going into the pool shed to get dressed.

I sit there feeling stupid for a few minutes before Robert comes back out with his hair still wet. He walks across to the door and it slides open revelling the plain white corridor beyond. He turns around to look across the room at me and says in a loud clear voice;

'Stay here Rose, I'll be back soon.' He tries to smile but its more like a grimace 'it'll be ok, I'm just going to see what they want then I'll be right back'. He moves his hands in a weird motion and it takes me a second to realise he wants me to say something.

'oh ok Robert, I get it. Don't worry I'll stay right here' I say in a sweet voice. He smiles tightly in thanks before turning around and try to walk normally. The door slides closed between us.

I sit there, suddenly self-conscious, before I start swimming laps of the pool.

1 lap..... 2 laps......3 laps....

I'm halfway on the 4th lap when I feel a change in the water. A shiver of movement from it, a moment of doubt from me. Then I see them- big black shapes in the water. I push my self into the corner and realise too late that it was a dumb thing to do, they have me surrounded. I can't do anything'

The first one breaks the surface in front of me. If I reached out I could touch him... him, it's a guy. It's a person.

Shit.

'um... hey, nice day for a swim isn't it' I force a laugh 'well, I was just getting out, so um... you guys' I gesture to the five other figures that surfaced 'have the lot to yourself. So, yah.....' I brace my hands on the edge of the pool, ready to hoist myself out when I feel hands clamp around my waist and pull me back in. I turn around and shrink into the side of the pool. 'hey, I don't want to cause any problems' I say getting scared now 'just let me go and I won't worry you anymore, I won't even come back to this part of the complex. Ok?'

The man in front of me shakes his head, one small movement and all six of them explode into action. The man who shook his head grabs my wrist and pulls me out of the water. with a vice like grip and I feel the tiny, fragile bones break. I choke back a scream as tears stream from my eyes.

'Why are you doing this?' I cry 'who are you?'

Another man comes up beside me and grabs my other wrist, while the other two grab my legs. I notice all this through a haze of pain.

'please' I beg 'please just let me go'

Black spots appear in my vision and I know I have to get my hand in the water. I kick my legs and move my good arm, but they are too strong. I do the only thing I can.

'what the...?' I hear one of the men say and I know its working. If I can get the water to me I might just be able to get out of here. I let myself go limp and focus all my remaining energy on the water below me. I feel the energy of it, and it gives me hope, but not time. My grip on consciousness is slipping, fast.

Slowly I will the water to envelop me and let me be pulled down, the men are still hanging on. I pull further and further until I feel the cool water touching my back. I let it swell around me and then push myself underwater.

I take a shuddering breath of ..... of ..... the water? My mind won't work it out right now, all that matters is that I can see straight again.

I don't believe that there could be rash thought left in my head. I don't think as I push all six men underwater with a giant wave. I don't think as I hold all of them underwater for too long. I don't think as I deliberately fill their lungs with water. I don't think when I smile as I finally feel the water still around me as they stop their thrashing.

I. Don't. Think.

Then the doors fly back open and floating in the doorway is Elise in her full glory her eyes white with power, literally.

And suddenly I can't breathe-