Chapter 15

Rose

We got back an hour before dinner, E and I went to Roberts room whilst he went off and 'checked the premises' or whatever. When we walked in E went and sat down on the bed, I on the floor. Both lost in their own thoughts.

E broke the uneasy silence, 'how'd you do that? I mean, like, how'd you, you know, do that with the stick'

'I don't really know' I reply hesitantly 'I just- did' I look to gauge her reaction

She nods slowly, thinking 'I don't think I ever told you my story' she finally says. I was not expecting this.

'erh, no you haven't' I hope the interest doesn't show in my voice.

'I was 4, I had a family; two sisters and a brother. I was the youngest. That was the year they took my eldest sister. In the dead of night during a storm, I was awake and I heard my sister moving around, then they moved past my room. 3 of them. my sister was between them, being dragged along the ground. The-'

'what did your parents say, I mean you can't just let your own kid go missing' i cut across her.

'shut up, I'm getting to that. Any way the next morning' she says 'mum and dad came and got me out of bed and I told them that my oldest sister was taken. They said she ran away. That's the last I ever heard them speak of her, it was like she was never there at all.

'my other two siblings were twins, they were 2 years older than me, and I think it was 3 years before they were taken themselves. It was almost the same story but I got out of bed and looked over the garden from my window. The way they were taken, it reminds me of those mystery books, where they have fabric between their teeth so they can't talk and two buff men each, guarding them.

'then it was my turn, I was 10, and they took me too. I never saw any of my family again, my parents are dead, and I have not seen any of my siblings for 7 years.' She finishes.

'why are you telling me this? When did you get that scar? What does this have to do with me?' I just don't get it why should she tell me this?

'Rose please She looks at the floor, 'I'm telling you this because, because after I became a moon child I had a vision too. It cam true. And I'm scared ok? Robert and I, we have been working through this together. Your lucky, we know what's going to happen we can tell you.' She has silent tears running down her cheeks 'But when I first used the wind I saw Robert, I saw him getting struck by the lightning, then he saw you, he saw you being carried in from the beach. And well you saw me, me getting shot, and, and that's not how I wan-'

Robert comes in the door. 'we weren't sp-'

E stops talking. He looks around the room, taking in me and Elise with her wet cheeks. Embarrassment crosses his face and he turns around and walks back out the door, leaving us to have a 'girl to girl' talk.

Despite the circumstances we both start laughing.