Chapter 2

Robert

When Victax brought the girl in from the beach I was sure she was dead.

In fact, I knew she was dead just by the way that she was lying in his arms, there would be no normal way to save this girl.

'I found her on the beach after that storm' Victax says quietly 'and she's badly hurt, struck by lightning I think'

I look at the girl, she looks no older than fifteen and she could as good as be sleeping apart from the fact that if she was still alive she would be in terrible pain and under no circumstances would she be asleep. I can see her shirt has been burned away on her chest and the singed edges are covered in blood. The skin on her chest is burnt really badly but I can't tell much else because there is just too much blood.

'I'll see what I can do' I say to Victax, although really, I can't see much I can do at all.

I take the girl from Victax arms and my eyes fall upon the red mark left on his lab coat,

'she is losing blood, son you need to work quickly' Victax says to my turning back. I stop, but do not turn around,

'do not call me that' I hiss 'I will never be your son' and I continue my way back to the operating rooms.

When I get to the correct room I lay the girl down and lock the door. My hands and shirt are already covered in blood, Victax was right I do need to work quickly. I start to clean the blood off the girl's chest, if there is any chance of saving her I will need to stop her from losing anymore. As my hands work I start to think of what my life was like before I got hit by lightning myself. I smile at the deja-vu of it, this girl in front of me was hit on the same beach by lightning and she ended up here like me, but I survived, and she didn't. I got away with a scar and I can do things that most would call impossible, I can control life.

when I take away the gauze I'm using to stop the blood and I gape open-mouthed at the burn.

It looks like a creasnt moon with a bolt of lightning between the points.

But it cant be?

That's what happened when I was hit.

I need to ask this girl what happened, because she is a moon-child too.

Twenty minutes later I'm ready, I've managed to stop the bleeding and cool the burns. I take off my gloves and clean my hands in the sink, the whole while I watch the girl. Now I'm not next to her I can really see how beautiful she is, her hair is hair is long and dark brown, it frames her face........... oh, her face, it looks so, so, so pretty, her lips are slightly parted, and she could as good as be sleeping. But her face, it looks worn and......... and sunburnt? Her cheeks are rosy and freckled, and her lips are dry.

I shake my head, I'm not here to gaze at her all day, no I can do that when she is awake, and I can ask her what happened. I walk back over to the girl and place one hand on her cool forehead and the other floats above the burn on her chest. I concentrate. Long and hard and slowly I feel the power I have, flowing through me and into her. I concentrate. Slowly, slowly, oh so slowly she starts to breathe. Its so subtle at first that it could have been the wind, but I keep going untill finally she is breathing properly, and I can feel her heart beating.

I keep at it for a while longer to make sure she is alive but in a coma. Then I move to her chest. I look at the burn, so bad that she would have bled to death if the lightning hadn't killed her first. This is going to take some time I think.

I don't know where to start, the blood, the burn? I close my eyes and think, what would I start with first, if I didn't control the growth of things, if I was a normal person? The blood, yes, I have to make sure she won't lose any more blood first.

I make sure the door is still firmly closed then once again hover my hand above her chest. I start swirling my fingers and the skin heals back together and leaves no trace that there was any break in the skin there. The burn next.

I start the same process again. I watch as the burn becomes a load of puss bubbles and then I feel the power get blocked at my fingers. What!? I try harder and the bubbles start to shrink back to a white scar, but it could take me at least an hour to finish. I try even harder, putting every, last, ounce of energy into healing the burn.