Chapter 18

Robert

Part of me is slightly envious of Rose, she is so proud of her new-found skill and she has so much control. I really wasn't lying when I told her I had flowers growing at my feet.

'Robert, your doing it again' a sing-song voice calls out to me. I turn and see 12-year-old Elise grinning beside me on the beach. She has her dirty blond hair down and is toying with the air to make her hair fly out like the movie stars.

'what?' I say I am honestly confused. I don't get how she can have so much control and I can't. I am really trying to make the stick in my hands grow.

She giggles, 'look at your feet stupid, and stop trying so hard. it comes naturally, don't force it'

I look at my feet and find they are tangled in grass vines and flowers. Urrg, I hate this! I can never do it. ever.

But the worst part is I hated it, hated what I could do. I don't think that Kate and Victax helped with that either. I grew up my whole life knowing about Moon Children. They made it their life to know the story and that was the story I was told before bed. How funny it was when their own son was one of the moon.

The Moon Children were kids born of Luna. She was the daughter of a blacksmith and she had a twin brother called Solis. When the blacksmith died however he left his workshop to his son and his most prised possession to his daughter, a small rock. The blacksmith told her that she was never to trust anyone with the stone, not even her brother. Luna kept her fathers word and never gave it to anyone, but that didn't stop Solis from finding out about it. Solis was furious that his sister was given something so precious, he asked her about it but she denied it existed.

Years later Luna got married and had four children, each were beautiful like their mother, and each could control one of the elements. When Solis heard he was even more angry that he was not told about the them, so he set out to kill his sister and her children. Solis took his best knife with him and set off. He came to the house at night, there he broke and crept through the window and went to find Luna. However, Luna heard the window smash and was awake when he came in, she grabbed the small stone off the table and stood to face her brother when he came in.

Solis opened the door to Luna's room and was not surprised when he saw her already up. He asked Luna is he could have the stone, if she did he would let her and the children live. But true to her fathers' word, she denied him. Solis killed Luna. Her children woke when they no longer felt her presence with them. They came and confronted Solis, each using his or her ability to make him pay for what he had done but he got away. Solis was dead set on beating the children, each able to bend an element to his or her will. He needed something that would be able to withstand each of them but all at once.

Meanwhile Luna's children tried but she had well and truly died and not even the child with the power like mine could bring her back. They found the stone she died protecting and put in her cold hands. It started to glow and then her soul melted into it. her body disappeared, and the small stone started to grow. Soon the child of Wind realised it would be too big for the small house and she moved it outside. There it kept growing and she lifted it above the small town, the rock didn't stop growing and she lifted it higher. Eventually it became the moon, reaching the atmosphere where it stopped growing. The child of Wind collapsed from fatigue and the other three children looked up at the formerly small stone that their mother had so lovingly cared for.

However, Solis was still plotting to kill the children. It was a year later that Solis opened his door to the eldest son of Luna, the child of Inferno. He was going to kill the child but what he said stopped him. The boy told him that Luna never liked him because he was more violent then the others and his siblings were mean to him. The boy knew that this was his uncle and so he told him that he could help Solis attack his siblings.

This was an open door for Solis, he could easily use the boy to get close to the other children and then kill them all. Inferno was the only thing that they could not beat. Solis took the boy in and they made a plan.

A month later both Solis and the child of Inferno left once again to Luna's house. They came in broad daylight and burnt it down.

None of the other children were inside. Solis hunted through the town and found them outside of a book shop, the child of Wind was looking frail.

When the children saw their brother, they called for him to come back to them, but Solis had corrupted the boy, he would not come back. The boy threw a ball of fire at the children to tell them his choice, his siblings retaliated and went all out with what they could do. Vines grew and tethered Solis to the ground and then battered with wind. But nothing could withstand the flames, nothing but the child of Water. She stepped forward inside a bubble of water, nothing her brother did could harm her. Eventually she got close enough to them to let a bubble of water form around Solis and drown him, but she took pity on her brother and mealy poured a constant stream of water on his head, dousing his flame.

As Solis died the child of Inferno took his soul and like the rock with Luna, sent it into a flaming fire ball. The boy threw it as far as he could and made it grow large. And like his sister before him, Solis' became a monument in the sky.

The children cornered the child of Inferno, but could not bring themselves to kill him. Instead they banished him, and told him never to return. They told him that if he did they would fight him and show no mercy. Their children, the Moon Children, and his children, the Children of Inferno, could never live in peace.

And to this day Luna and Solis chase each other across the sky, while on the earth their grandchildren are stuck in an ever ending war.

Lunas children are always looking out for each other. The child of Water; the strongest at mind and with their powers, the child of Earth; changing the course of life and preserving things in small objects, and the child of Wind; the weakest, drained of power from lifting their mother into the sky.

Rose is a child of Water. She is strong in the mind having spent most of her teen years there. But she is advanced in her powers too.

And that alone is the most unfair part.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

sorry i have not updated this week please keep reading and please comment. i really need to know whats wrong with it.

Question: too many flash backs?

thanks for reading!

Stronger Together? Together Forever,

Rosie :)