Chapter 13

Rose

We are halfway back to the cave and I feel the jolt of pain run through my chest. I cry out in shock and pain; my feet trip up on themselves, but I catch myself as Robert looks over his shoulder at me. His hand tightens round my wrist and he picks up the pace, so I am now being dragged along behind him.

Suddenly I'm seeing a forest glade with three gravestones, I don't know how I got there but I not the only one here. Robert is kneeling in front of the smallest one and he's- crying?

But now I'm looking down the barrel of a...a holy shit a GUN! What happened to the glade and the trees. I hear a noise behind me and I turn my head. E is standing there, what happened to Robert? She shakes her head with the slightest of movements and then, CRACK, the gun goes off.

* * *

I open my eyes and look straight into the eyes of E who has her hand on my chest. She is shaking, and her eyes are wide, her face is white. She quickly moves her hand away from me and shuffles to the wall on the other side of the cave hallway. I button up my shirt.

'what the heck just happened? Where did I go!?' I ask

Robert comes over to E, who is staring at me with a white face, and puts his hand on her shoulder.

'what happened, Rose, what did you see?' he says almost angrily, still sitting by E.

'ask her' I say 'I don't know what you're talking about'

Robert turns his back to me, so he can ask E what happened, and I suddenly feel left out. I can hear him talking to her as I sit here, and I want to know what he is saying.

I think about what I saw, the gun, there was someone behind that gun, I'm sure of it. And before all that in the glade, what was that about? But my mind jumps to the gun again, and E what, about E? I just know that gunshot was meant for her. Then why did she shake her head. What was I even seeing? E is alive and healthy, well as healthy as you could be when you live in a cell, right in front of me.

And suddenly, even though it seems stupid (but everything here is stupid), I realize,

'I saw the future, didn't I?'

Robert turns around, finally,

'yeah, when d'you work that one out' he asks rather rudely

'look,' I hiss at him 'I didn't choose to come here, and I didn't choose to see whatever I just saw. That was just all thrown on my shoulders and you're not helping!' I'm on my feet, when did I stand up? 'I dunno what happened to her or why she is up set, but I can tell you what I saw, then you tell me what is going on and anything else that might happen in the near future'

Robert is lost for words and E chooses this moment to speak,

'I'm gonna die' she says in barely a whisper

Robert flips round and looks back at E, I drop down to my knees and crawl over to the other side of the cave.

'what!?' says Robert

'it was Kate she- she had a gun and- and I was looking down the barrel and then sh-' but E can't go on so Robert turns back to me.

'what is she talking about?' he asks, any trace of rudeness has been replaced by fear.

'well, that was the second part, the first part was' I think back, the details are running away like holding water in cupped hands '-a glade and it had- grave stones in it- and um yeah- there was three I think'

'right, ok, so then what's E talking about'

'well that's the second part, I was suddenly looking down the barrel and-' I think back '-E she was there too, and um she did something, then the gun went off. Then I was back here and she went all scared'

'I'm gonna die' E says again and she bursts into tears.