Chapter 11

Rose

'Uuuuurg, you took so long' E just about spits at Robert

'I had to eat this crap again' she gestures to the wooden bowl on the floor filled with grey lumps.

'what is that' I say peering through the bars

'that is what he left me to eat' E hisses, jabbing her finger at Robert.

'hay, I'm not that bad' Robert replies defensively

'sure, sure' she mutters under her breath

'how do you survive in here?' I ask looking around the dank cell.

'I don't, if it weren't for this hooligan here I would be dead' she answers, 'now are you going to let he out or do I have to wright a letter and send it in the mail?' she asks.

'well now you say so, I actually don't mind mail. How long do you think it will take to get here?' he asks grinning at her anger.

'you had better let me out right now or I'll tell Victax that you let me out last night, you idiot' E spits, making no effort to hide her fury.

'woah there' Robert says carefully, still grinning 'no need to go loopy on me, I'll let you out, but I do like the idea of getting mail'

'Rose hit him somewhere, and do it hard' she orders

'ah, um, ok' I stutter balling my hand into a fist.

I let my fist fly forward, aiming at his arm. Then before I even touch him his hand flies out to meet mine, he somehow turns me around and holds my hand to my back.

'hmmm, your self-defence sucks, I'm sorry to say' Robert says in a mock serious tone.

'ok, whatever, just get the bloody hell out of here!' E just about yells at him

'alright I've got the key' he says smirking again.

He lets go of my wrist and fishes in his pocket, a second later he pulls out a well-used key and slides it into the lock holding the iron bars on place. With a click the door unlocks and E rushes out balling her fist. In a single movement she thrusts he knuckles into Roberts chest before he can even react.

'that is how you throw a punch' E says happily to me

'I should have seen that coming' Robert wheezes with his hand where she punched him 'that's gonna' bruise'

'good that will teach you to show off' she smiles at him.

'can we go now?' I wine at them eager to get back to my beach

'yup, we have some things to do today' E answers 'oh, hurry up Robert, I didn't hit you that hard'

'what things' I say

'you'll see, down here' she says pointing to a door I had walked past.

Inside the door a long passage meets us. The roof, floor and walls are all made of dirt and rock. I run my hand along the wall as we walk and notice it is cold and damp, but somehow our footsteps manage to echo.

A few minutes later a small light appears at the end of the tunnel and I smell the lovely salty air of the sea. Robert starts talking to E and I feel the strong urge to run to the end of the tunnel and get to my beach. The only thing that stops me is the fact that I'd look like an idiot in front of Robert.

What feels like an age later we reach the end of the tunnel, I can't hold on any longer, so I run the last few steps into the salty air. As my feet hit the sand I'm blinded by the mid-morning sun. slowly my eyes start to adjust to the bright light and I see my beach. It's the same as how I remember it with its blue-green waves and white sand littered with driftwood and seaweed.