Chapter 8

Rose

When we are outside the lab a white hall meets us and Robert shuffles down the hall supporting my weight. When we reach the end of the hallway another two meet us, one going right and one going left. Robert checks his watch and then without warning he slides his arm under my knees and lifts me up letting my back fall into his other arm. Then he starts along the hall again with me in his arms.

'Sorry' he says 'we just need to get there soon, they're waiting for us'

'Who?' I say

'My boss' Robert swallows he has a look of fear in his eyes and I wonder who his boss is.

When we arrive at yet another white corridor I notice there are sliding doors all down it, Robert strides towards one and pushes several keys. The door hisses open. I try to see what's inside, but the lights are too bright. Robert, who's face is now red from carrying me, walks in as the door hisses shut again. As my eyes adjust to the brightness of the lights Robert sets me down again and I waver on the spot before he grabs me around the waist to steady me.

'madam' he whispers into the lights 'sorry, Rose, she needs to know'

She looks at Robert. I feel his hands tighten around my waist, holding me upright.

'Let her go' she spits at Robert

'madam, I say this with greatest respect, but I can't she is unable to stand on her own' Robert pleads with her.

'do I need to run the tests on her myself, like I did with you?' she whispers dangerously

'N-no madam' he murmurs, his head bowed

'I didn't think so' she whispers venomously at him, and with that he lets go and I collapse on my knees.

The woman turns back to me,

'Get up, now' she says

Once again Robert tries to protest

'Madam' he starts 'she is unable to-' but she glares at him and he stops abruptly.

I try to push myself up with my hands, but I only manage to fall onto my side even further, wincing as my hip hits the ground. I try again, managing to get back on my knees then without warning she grabs me around the throat and lifts my feet entirely off the ground.

'Your boyfriend had better learn to do what I say, or you'll get the consequence' she spits at me

'he's n-not my' I'm gasping for breath now 'boy- friend' I finish my face turning purple. I see Robert out of the corner of my eyes watching with a look of fear etched into every line on his face. She drops me, and I land a hair from the floor in Roberts arms. Then he puts me on my feet, steadies me and then lets me go, managing to keep me upright.

'And, by the way' Roberts boss calls over her shoulder 'you can call me Kate, follow me'

Robert and I start to shuffle our way across the room, which I can now see contains a variety of large machines with white beds producing from them. On the other side of the room I see Kate going through a blue door and Robert noticeably picks up his pace. We reach the door faster than when we left the lab five minutes ago, but still slower that we could have been.

As we walk through the door I see boards with sheets of paper pinned to them. I look closer at one of the boards I see the symbol that is burned onto my chest along with some complex mathematic equations. Robert comes behind me and puts his hands on my waist, I hear his voice in my ear,