"Oh. Sorry. I was lost and really tired. I was following this stupid map and I ended up here. Somehow."

The girl smiled and asked "what's your name?" But it didn't seem genuine.

"Oma."

"I'm Iminathi."

Oma did a double take. Had the girl just said her name was illuminati?

"I'm Asher." The boy said, his voice slightly deeper. He reached out to shake her hand and she took it. Iminathi didn't look so pleased.

"You've strayed really far away from school if you're really lost. But we're going there so you can come with us?"
She already liked Asher.

"Must she?" Iminathi murmured. Oma already hated her.

The ride with them was quiet except for the music. Asher actually had a car and a luxury one for that matter.  She couldn't imagine herself having a car in school. By instinct, she looked at the car mirror and made eye contact with Asher. She looked away but when she looked back, his eyes were still on her. She didn't feel comfortable for two reasons. First, he was driving and that was risky and second, Iminathi clearly didn't like her. She didn't want to complicate matters.

"So Oma, where do you stay?" He asked her and luckily, his eyes were on the road.

"Charlie hostel." She answered sharply.

"What course do you study?" He asked again.

"French." Iminathi suddenly turned to her.

"Me too!" She looked really excited. Facing her up front, Oma realized she was really pretty, like exceptionally pretty especially when she smiled.
"How on earth did you get lost? Charlie hostel is just like two minutes away from our department."
Now she felt really stupid.

"Oh. I didn't know. Maybe God wanted me to meet you guys, Iminathi." She said, because she had nothing else to say.

"Oh. You're a Christian." Iminathi said, suddenly sounding bored. "But since we're friends, you can call me Nathi. The full name sounds weird when you say it."

"Are you Fulani or something? The name doesn't sound familiar." Oma asked because she was actually curious.

"South African." Asher answered. She looked at the mirror and he winked at her. Nathi groaned.
Jeez. They'd just recently become friends. She didn't want the girl to think she wanted to steal her boyfriend.

"You guys are a cute couple." Oma said, a little too loudly. She wasn't ready to make enemies. Especially with someone who could help her.
Nathi laughed and Asher looked uncomfortable.

"Me and him? Eww." She said.

"We're cousins." Asher completed.

"Oh."

The rest of the ride was quiet after that.

***

Her first day of school was nothing like she'd imagined. The class was nice and big and screamed sophistication, but the students in it acted like wild animals.

Asher had dropped them off at the French department and had taken her number. It was much easier, knowing they were cousins. Oma didn't know what she'd expected, but she didn't expect Nathi to just leave her and go talk to other people immediately they got in. She had to do everything herself. No matter how noisy and busy the rest of the class seemed, she still felt eyes boring into her. She found a seat and sat, wondering whether it would have been a lot better if they'd walked in on a teacher.

Within two minutes of being in the class, Oma realized Nathi was a favorite there. Everyone seemed to know her. Once she moved in, it didn't take long for people to gather her and add to the noise. It was understandable. The girl was pretty. Really beautiful. She was really light skinned, like the models they used to advertise creams. Her body was confusing. She was skinny but still managed to have all the goods one would normally find on a bigger person. She obviously really enjoyed the attention. She and Asher could easily pass for runway models.

When she was tired of seeing everyone else hang on Nathi's every word, she brought out her phone. She was addicted to it. It was understandable. Just like if someone who'd never had ice cream was given a bucketful of icecream, they'd take it in one gulp. 

"I haven't seen you around here before." Someone said and she almost tossed her phone.

She looked up at the person. He was wearing glasses. He smiled and brought out a hand for her to shake.

"Obi. What's your name?"

"Oma." She answered, taking his hand. She'd done this twice today.
"It's my first day."

"Wow. You've missed a lot oh. We've had tests, assignments. You have a lot to cover if you don't want to carry over this whole semester." He said but when he saw her expression he laughed awkwardly. He'd meant it as a joke.
She was scared. Her heart throbbed in her chest.
"I'm not trying to scare you oh." Too late. "But I can help you. You can photocopy my notes, I can show you where to buy textbooks. Don't worry it won't be that bad. Hopefully."

So she could fail. Even when everything was okay, she'd still failed. Now she'd missed tests. Tests! She didn't feel comfortable. Her eyes felt heavy and suddenly, she felt like crying.

***

This was actually how I felt on my first day in university. I was already half a semester gone and people told me it would be a miracle for me to pass.

What was your worst experience in a different place for the first time?

Don't forget to vote and comment.
Please don't be a ghost reader.