What Do I Have To Do?

What Do You Mean? A Cliche Love Story Chapter 25

Levi's P.O.V

"I never said to post anything online!" I shout clinching my fists in the process.

She shrugs sheepishly, "well you said we were official." Alanna replies. Her small frame was wrapped in a green cardigan as she stared at me.

"Yes I did. However that doesn't mean put our business out there. Not everyone needs to know."

Especially not Raevyn.

"Well now they do. You are off limits and so am I. It's not a big deal." She retorts.

But it was. Raevyn had no clue about the investigation or my job in this case. And because of this she just thinks that I used her and I didn't. What I shared with her and how I felt was all real. Every single detail and every single moment. Alanna just had to go and ruin it, she was just adding fuel to the already burning case I had against her.

I take a deep breath and unclench my fists, before shrugging. "Sure." I needed to just relax until my case was solid. Alanna was guilty. The evidence that I had, the partner in the class, then it was the talk with Austin, and now she was anxious all the time. I had something and it was only amount of time before she slipped up.

She looks at me her dark eyes piercing me like a predator stalking its prey. "What's bugging you?"

My heart skips as fear seeps into my chest, like a cold hand grasping my heart. I bite my lip before saying in a nonchalant voice, "nothing."

Alanna doesn't take that as the reason and continues to glare at me. Her eyes were like a vultures', from a distance trying to see if i was the next meal or if I was trying to pretend to be dead. 

I sigh as my mind races for a good excuse as to why I didn't want people knowing. Besides the obvious reason that I didn't want to be in a relationship with her.

A light bulb goes off inside my head before I stammer out something idiotic. Instead I say, "it's because I hate labels."

Her face is relieved from my response and she smiles. "Are you serious?" She teases, "if it means that much to you then I'll change it." She states already lifting her phone to open it.

I shake my head, "damage has already been done. It's whatever." I grab my phone and turn to open the door.

"I'll see you tomorrow. Goodnight." Alanna says but i'm already out the door.
------------
The sun was setting as the ball went inside the net making a whoosh sound. Luke just made a shot and although it was cool outside i was hot, most likely because i was losing. Luke dribbled the ball to the center of the court trying to make a shot. However, I was ready. I was waiting for him to put the ball in the air before I jumped for it and made a shot myself.

He snatched the ball and dribbled it slowly. I stood in front of him trying to figure out his next step, but before I could he had already crossed my ankles and scored.

He smiles at me, "get ya head in the game, Delrosario."

I shake my head at him. "It is in the game." I retort.

Luke laughs before shaking his head, "nah it's in the stars probably thinking about Raevyn."

At her name my body goes rigid. Raevyn. I hadn't spoken to her or seen her since she came to my house, which was about a week ago. Her words had struck me hard, causing the lump in my throat to get stuck. I missed her.

He passed the ball to me, checking it, and I pass it back.

He looks at me before dribbling the ball, he lurches forward and I move in the same direction. My hands fly out to the side of me as I defend my basket. Luke places his backside to me while he dribbles crossing over me. A memory of Raevyn and I playing basketball flashes through my head and I pause he takes my hesitation as an invitation to take a shot. He makes it.

I shake my head trying to shake Raevyn from my thoughts but it wasn't possible. She was all consuming, the last interaction kept replaying in my mind over and over again. 'Live long and prosperous.'

How could I if she wasn't in my life? Over these past months Raevyn has changed my life for the better. Now she wasn't even talking to me let alone my girl. She changed her seat in all the classes we have together and even staid at school longer to avoid seeing me.

Luke saunters over to me i had been so engrossed in my thoughts that i had not even seen him leave the court. His phone in hand he shows me his screen, "dude you see this?" He asks as he hands me his phone. It was a news article from today It read in all capital letters. "AUSTIN LEI ARRESTED FOR THE MURDER OR SONJAI WATERS."

I look at Luke, "oh sh*t, this foreal?" He nods his head and scrolls down on his phone.

"They say he killed her because she rejected his advances. During Homecoming she was drunk, he thought it was an opportunity but she refused. She hit him in defense. She ran and he followed, caught up and killed her and buried her in the woods. They even found the murder weapon in his home." He says his voice serious as he read the grim news.

I shake my head, "Austin? That seems out of character. " My immediate thoughts was that Alanna must have put him up to it. Austin was not a killer, he was loyal though, maybe he took the fall for her? He did say that he would do anything for his blood.

Luke nods, "but you know how he gets when he's drunk and doesn't get his way. "

I shake my head, "yeah, but murder? Where they putting him?" I ask.

"County. His hearing is Friday. "

I shake my head, "I better check on Alanna" I tell him while glancing at the sky.

He nods. "So Alanna yo girl now, huh?" He shakes his head, "alright see you later."
--
I walk down the street thinking about the case. It had to be Alanna who set this up, the article didn't even talk about the missing eyes. This murder and suspect did not add up. And I was going to figure it out one way or another. How could Austin confess to something like this?

I walk in to the police department. Bill sits at the front desk, coffee in hand and stained shirt on his body.

Did he ever shower?

I walk past him and into the smaller cubicles where Officer Tamiko sat she was highlighting a few papers as I approached. She looked up at me, "Delrosario, you hear?

I nod and she sighs. I tell her, "he didn't do it." I shake my head, trying to get these puzzle pieces together. 

"I know. They are supposed to be putting him in the system today. It's out of our hands now."

"Tamiko, there is something we can do, right?"

She covers her face with her hand. "Levi there is no we, really i should not have even had you involved. The district can't do anything."

"Tami-"

"Levi. It. Is. Out. Of. Our. Hands. So please do not fight this. I know its your friend but there is nothing we can do. He plead guilty." 

The room grows quiet and she sighs.

She writes something on a piece of paper while she says, "These are some organizations that i think you would be great for. They are law offices, i think your future is bright, Delrosario." She stands, she walks over to me.

"You have been so much help but really go home and stay out of  it. Okay?" She wraps me in a hug and I hug her back, i feel her tuck the paper into my pocket.

"There are too many ears. Stay safe." She whispers in my ear, before standing straight. If i was confused before, now i'm lost.

"Thank you for all your help." She says as she guides me to the door. 

I walk out into the hallway, glancing at the place I had come accustomed to.

I exit the door but not before i hear Bill chuckle and say, "Stupid kid." 

---

In the safety of my home i unball the paper that Detective Wallace stuffed in my pocket. It read in bold capital letters.

"I KNOW YOU AREN'T GOING TO DROP THE CASE, AND SOMETHING ISN'T RIGHT. JUST DON'T BE STUPID, BE CAREFUL"

I smirk as i toss the note on my bed and throw on my jacket. I was going to solve this case one way or another.

-----
Unedited