Trust Issues (Chapter 41 Part III)

Start from the beginning

"I'm glad y'all came, it means a lot to me that y'all are here." I told them honestly. "Thanks for coming, it means so much."

"Of course, Lula Mae was our Granny too. You know we had to come." Drea smirked, making me smile. I talked with them for a while before inviting them to Granny's house so they could eat dinner with the family. The way my Mama and Aunties cooked, they had enough food to feed all of Carolina.

"Do you wanna go back to the hotel or do you wanna eat with your family?" Jerome asked me as he helped me up and wrapped his arm around my body. I wanted to talk to Jerome privately to thank him for all that he's done for me since the passing of Granny. He's been so supportive and had really gone out of his way and I was so grateful.

"She needs to rest. We'll bring your food to the hotel." Mama spoke up, without letting me answer for myself.

"Yes ma'am." I mumbled, nodding my head, close to tears. She noticed my sudden burst of emotion and pulled me into her arms for a hug. "She's gone Mama, she really left me." I cried into her chest as she held me close to her, while rocking me.

"I know baby, I'm so sorry. I know it hurts but she's at peace now." She whispered in my ear as she rubbed my back. "She loved you so much and I know you're going to miss her but think about all the good times and hold on to those special memories and all that wisdom she gave you."

"I'm sorry you couldn't go to the gravesite. I wish we could've gone." I hiccuped, pulling away from her. I was extremely sad about missing Granny's last ride through the city and the dove release. Not only that; but we'd all written notes that were supposed to be buried with her, along with a rose. Granny also had a horse drawn carriage transport her body to the cemetery and we missed everything.

"I'm not worried about that. I'm just glad that you're okay baby, you scared me." She said holding my face in her hands and kissing my forehead. I nodded my head and hugged her again, resting my head on her chest.

"You want me to come with you?" She asked me. I really wanted to be in my mom's arms because I wanted comfort but I didn't want to be selfish. She lived in a whole different state from all of her siblings and they hadn't been all together in years.

"No, I'm okay." I sniffled, holding back more tears as I wiped my face. "Go be with all your family, I know it's been a while since you've been with your sisters." I told her.

"You sure?" She asked.

"Yes ma'am." I nodded, trying to keep myself from busting into tears again.

"Okay baby, I love you. Call me when you get situated." She told me, kissing my cheek.

"Love you baby girl." My Daddy told me as he wrapped his arms around me. As soon as I was in his embrace, the floodgates opened and I broke down all over again. I don't know what it was but I literally couldn't stop crying.

"Jerome, go get her clothes to change into and meet us at Mama's house. Bring the baby too." I heard my Mama instruct Jerome.

"Yes ma'am." Jerome responded. My father walked me out of the church and helped me into the rental car he and my mom had been driving. Mama sat in the back with me and held me the whole ride to Granny's house. It felt good just laying in her arms.

Once we arrived at Granny's house; Mama ushered me upstairs to the bedroom her and my Dad were sharing. Relief filled my body as I took off my dress, heels, bra and girdle. I felt so free and it felt good to be able to take a deep breath.