Chapter 57 - Weather Forecast

Walt broke first from the group, leaving to join Joseph and the protesters. Before he took a second step, Terra pulled him into a hug, something he did not expect based on their past interactions. At first hesitant, he returned the embrace.

"Walt, I've made your life difficult," she confessed.

"True, but you've also made it interesting." He stepped back with a smile and touched two fingers to his brow in a mock salute. "Now go save the world, kiddo."

The protest march was still assembling when Walt arrived. He sought Joseph among the milling crowd at the crossroad, not difficult because of Joseph's massive frame and dark beard.

Joseph grasped Walt's hand with a tight grip and grinned. "Welcome, my friend. Terra speaks highly of you."

Walt shook his head. "I am surprised, as much angst as I've heaped on her over the years. But then again, she shovels it right back on me."

"She has a good heart."

"I know, which is why I am here. What can we expect?"

Joseph motioned to the gathering protesters, who murmured angry words among themselves like simmering hot coals in a woodpile. "We have quite a crowd, bigger than I expected, and more are coming. They are here truly to protest, legitimately I would say, and do not know the larger purpose. The plan is simple — march toward the palace and express displeasure with Dynasty policies."

"What response do you expect?" Walt asked.

"The police will show up in force, and we hope some of the palace security forces will join them. We have to walk a fine line, though. The protest needs to be forceful enough to keep them occupied, but not so much they will use lethal force. I have some people planted for crowd control, but really, their influence is limited. These things take on a life of their own. That's where you can help. If this turns bad, I am hoping you can provide some cover while the protesters retreat."

The random motions of the crowd coalesced to coordinated motion under the leadership of a few outspoken protesters. Joseph patted Walt on the back. "It is time. God be with you, my friend."

Walt silently scoffed at the mention of God, although a little divine help might just be needed. He pulled out of his thoughts and activated his tactical communicator. "The rain has begun."

Grinning, he shook his head at the corny message, but understood the need for code in the event the communications were intercepted.

Walt walked at the front of the march, but off to the side. It didn't take long before the crowd became unruly, shouting in anger and waving banners, and he feared it could get out of control in a hurry. As they turned a corner and drew closer, Walt made out the police line. Most wore full riot gear with helmets, visors, and body armor; but their numbers were far fewer than the advancing crowd. He surmised they did not expect such a large protest, and hopefully, that would force them to draw from the palace security forces.

The mass of protesters came up to the police line, and the noise escalated. The police backed up from the enormous crowd even as more police and security forces arrived. For a period of time, each side honored the tenuous gap between them.

Walt heard through his earpiece, "go for the weatherman." He knew then the pre-assault operation had begun, now to keep the Dynasty forces occupied here.

Once they reached sufficient numbers, the police pushed forward, closing the gap between themselves and the boisterous protesters. They clashed. The more radical contingent of the protesters took control of the crowd and pushed back against the police shields like a tidal wave. Rocks and trash bounced off the police line, who responded with swinging batons. The violence escalated much too quickly.