Chapter 6 - Enigma

A chill crawled down Terra's spine. How did he know my name?

Will motioned for her to join him at the table and folded up the diagram that covered it. He asked, "Are you thirsty? Could I get you something to drink? The cider is very good here."

Still stunned, Terra could only nod. Will caught the bartender's attention with a head tilt, held up two fingers, and pointed down. The bartender returned a slight nod, then filled two dull-gray metal tankards from a barrel tap. In wordless efficiency, the drinks appeared before them. A pleasant, fruity aroma filled Terra's nose as she lifted a mug and took a sip. The crisp tartness, slightly sweet and aromatic, tickled her tongue and carried an alcohol kick.

The drink helped her find her voice again. "Mmm, this is good."

Will took a swig from his tankard and seemed equally pleased. He placed it on the table and gazed at Terra. "So, to what honor do I owe the attention of the Blue Uprising's best agent?"

Terra froze, again rendered wordless. Heart accelerating, her eyes flitted across the room, expecting a trap.

And how does he know that?

Will held up both hands, palms toward her, as if he heard her thought. "Don't worry, your secrets are safe with me."

Terra recomposed herself and took a direct tact. She took a drink of cider and licked her lips. "I'm here to evaluate and bring you in." Leaning forward, she batted her eyelashes. "Are you going to come quietly, or do I have to get rough?"

Will's lips parted, but then settled into a sly grin. "I would not want to risk that. Shall we discuss the terms of my surrender over dinner?"

"Okay."

He took a deep drink, then clunked an empty tankard down on the table. "I need to take my things up to my room and should change into something more appropriate. Let's meet down here in, say, twenty minutes?"

She nodded. "I look forward to it."

Gathering the drawing, Will stepped outside, then reentered carrying a duffle bag, casting Terra a warm smile and a wink. Her eyes tracked him across the tavern to the stairs. Once he disappeared from view, she blew out a held breath.

What just happened here? Did I accept a date with a man who may out me as an agent?

Terra glanced around the tavern, now empty of all but her and the disinterested bartender. She peeked again in the aura, finding the dim glows of the bartender and a woman in the kitchen, behind the bar. A few people passed by outside, but also not strong Talent, rather ordinary people. There were no signs of danger.

Lifting her tankard, she paused, peering at the fragrant amber liquid. Her chest tightened as a thought came to her. Could the cider be drugged?

Terra focused her aura sight within her body, using skills from her psi-surgery training. A survey of her biological systems revealed no apparent influence of a toxin or drug. The only thing out of normal was an elevated heart rate and blood pressure, although expected given the circumstances. From her medical background, she knew the usual drugs and poisons. If Will meant to drug her with a typical narcotic or sedative, the effects would have begun by now. 

Will's admitted knowledge of Terra's name and agent status should have put her further on edge, even running for the door, yet her gut-intuition remained still, registering no danger. There was only curiosity and, she had to admit, a degree of physical attraction. He seemed sincere, pleasantly friendly even.

Just who is Will?

Wandering outside, Terra put her viewer to her ear.

"Hex?"