Chapter 50 - Daughters

Terra woke with the sun already high in the sky. She wanted to sleep longer, but her bladder would not allow it, something that happened more frequently now. A pleasant smell wafting in from the kitchen stirred her empty stomach.

Since they shared this house with Haze and Thorne, she thought it best not to walk into the kitchen naked. A frown derived from the thought of putting her dirty clothes back on again, transitioned to a smile as she noticed a clean outfit neatly folded on a chair. She held them up, a dark oversize t-shirt and soft stretchy pants. Not fashionable, but they looked quite comfortable.

Will grinned as she walked into the kitchen. "Do you realize that we not only missed sunrise, but high noon as well? How are you feeling?"

Terra hugged him from behind."Clean, rested, and now my husband is cooking. Life is good."

Wearing a pair of jeans and a t-shirt that were a bit too big for his body, Will explained, "Haze left us the clothes. They keep some extra here. Our dirty clothes are in the wash."

Will scooped a stew into two bowls and placed them on the table. "Just canned meat, potatoes, and vegetables all mixed together. Not much, but then you would not expect fresh produce in a safe house."

Terra sat down and took a spoonful. "Actually, this is good."

Will sat down beside her and lifted a spoon, then put it down. He turned to his wife, his eyes boring into hers. "Terra, I know it all worked out in the end last night, but that was way too close. Sometime our luck is going to run out."

Terra put down her spoon. "I know. But what can we do? Part of me wants to run away and let the world go to hell. But it always catches up with us, and if not us, then it will for our daughter. I can't just ignore the suffering and injustice."

"You have a good heart, Terra Lorr."

Her eyes moistened as a shadow covered her heart. "Do I, Will? I killed many people yesterday." She lifted her hands to squelch Will's retort. "And before you say it, I know we were defending ourselves and that rescuing Neige's family was the right thing to do. And I have killed so many more before. My ledger is dripping with blood."

Will reached over to take her hand in his. "I was very much a part of the operation and I share the outcome. We do the best we can with limited options in impossible situations. I truly believe you have a good heart, Terra. Don't be so hard on yourself." He took a deep breath. "I don't have the answers, and I know sometimes we cannot avoid it, but no more dangerous situations until at least well after our daughter is born. Would you agree with that?"

"Okay." She paused, considering her words. "I have a request for you, something I have been thinking about. Let me share your name. Let me be Terra Sall."

"Let you? It would be my great honor." He grinned. "Although, it doesn't roll off the tongue quite like Terra Lorr."

*****

After Will and Terra changed back into their now clean old clothes, they strolled over to the clinic. Will knocked on the door, then two brown eyes peered out of a small sliding portal. Opening the door, Mavis beckoned them in.

Terra asked, "How is Kori coming along?"

"Very well, but come see for yourself."

Kori smiled as Mavis led Will and Terra into her room. The bright sunlight that streamed in through the window seemed to match her mood. The bed was tilted up such that she lay nearly in a sitting position.

"The trach tube is out!" Terra remarked. "I take it the trachea is doing well?"

Mavis replied, "Very good, nice work on that by the way, but no talking yet. The lungs are clear, but we doing respiratory treatments to make sure they stay that way."

Terra grasped Kori's hand. "I am happy for you."

Kori pointed at Terra's belly.

Terra answered the silent question, "Oh, we have a daughter of our own coming in about 10 weeks."

"Where is your little girl?" Will said, twisting his head around.

Mavis answered for Kori. "Neige took her out to play and run off some of her excess energy."

Will cocked his head. "Neige the tough mercenary out playing with a little girl. It's hard to reconcile those images."

Kori put a hand to her mouth to stifle a silent laugh as Mavis replied again for her. "Oh, he is all tough guy on the outside, but inside he is like a big, soft teddy bear."

*****

The next morning, Will and Terra said their goodbyes at the clinic to all but Haze, who agreed to drive them back to Freehold. Neige walked with them out to the vehicle and put his big arms around both of them in silent thanks.

Will said to him, "You have a wonderful family. Take good care of them."

Neige nodded with moist eyes. He handed Will a small card. "If you ever need me, call."

As Haze drove off with Will and Terra in the back seat of a dented passenger car, he glanced back at them and remarked, "That was the most emotion I have ever seen from Neige. You two have made a big impression on him." Once out of town, he asked, "Terra, how were you able to do all you did during the action? I've never seen Talent so strong."

"That's just it, Haze, I shouldn't have been able to. I don't understand. Something is different that made me stronger."

Will grinned widely and patted her belly. "I know one thing that is different now."

Terra thought for a moment. "Do you think our daughter enhanced my Talent?"

"I suppose it is possible. But I know she enhanced your belly. Oww!"

Haze laughed as Will rubbed his ribs where Terra had elbowed him. Will sighed. "Okay, I probably deserved that."

"There was another thing. She stirred again while you were in the compound. I took it as a warning, and then I saw the Dynasty trucks coming. If not for that, they might have come much closer. And just before our last encounter, she kicked me."

Will widened his eyes. "Wow. Do you think she could interact with the aura? Talent does not usually appear until after puberty."

"I don't know. If so, she may become extremely powerful."

"It makes me wonder how difficult she is going to be as a teenager. How difficult were you?"

Terra sighed. "I have to admit that I was hard to live with. I don't know how my mom put up with all my hormone-driven mood swings." An old wave of grief pulsed over her. "I wish she was still here."

Will put an arm around Terra's shoulders and drew her as close as the seat restraints would allow. "There is too much death in this world."

"Yes. And I fear much more is coming."