Chapter 37 - Resignation

Terra closed the back door of her house, perhaps never to return. Will stuffed two bags behind the truck seat, containing what few of her clothes and possessions she took away. Holding the key in her hand, she paused, then re-opened the door and tossed it inside.

Closing the door without locking it, she took a deep breath. Goodbye old house. You served me well. Perhaps someone else will take better care of you.

They drove in silence toward the Blue Uprising Command Center. A small smile came to her as she recalled the sweet lovemaking of last night, quelling the nervous anticipation in her gut. She had expected Will to make a quip about the sunrise, but it never came. Then that gave her a distant feeling of unease, as if it foretold an undesired ending. Her smile faded.

I hope we are doing the right thing.

The Blue Uprising Command Center filled an entire block, and then some. From the outside, it appeared to be an unremarkable and rundown metal-sided warehouse. Terra guided Will away from the front parking area to a gravel lot a short distance behind the building, one concealed by a row of mostly empty wooden buildings.

She explained. "If things go bad and we have to make a quick exit, we should avoid the main entrance."

They circled the entire building at a distance to familiarize Will with the area, then approached the front entrance.

Terra turned toward Will, putting on as brave a face as she could. "Are you ready?"

He nodded and gripped her hand. "Together."

The foyer behind the rusty doors was elegantly appointed, contrasting with the outside building shell, as if they entered a different world. A pretty, well-dressed receptionist behind a curved wooden desk turned her eyes up to the visitors. Two burly blue-uniformed security guards with holstered guns flanked her. Even the seemingly harmless receptionist likely packed a sidearm.

Terra spoke to the receptionist. "Terra Lorr, and guest Will Sall."

The receptionist looked down and manipulated the tablet viewer before her. In short order, she produced two name tags and handed them to Will and Terra.

"Welcome back, Ms. Lorr," she said with a smile.

The pair followed one guard through another set of doors and then paused while he ran some sort of handheld scanner over them to check for concealed weapons. Satisfied, he motioned them on. They walked past two other uniformed guards with assault rifles strung over their shoulders.

Terra whispered to Will. "From now on, the security will be mainly Talented. Stay with me, but not too close. You will be nearly invisible to them."

Terra moved an arm's length away from Will as she shifted into the aura, hoping that her bright aura signature would mask Will's lack of one if anyone checked closely. They continued down the brightly lit windowless hallway past another set of guards, these wearing the traditional robed garb of high-functioning Talent.

Turning, Terra flung open one side of a set of double doors to enter a large open area bustling with activity. She took Will by the hand and led him through the scattered desk stations. With a warm smile, she stopped behind a short, middle-aged man.

"Hex!"

The man swiveled around in his chair and grinned. "Terra! How is our favorite problem child?"

"Still causing trouble." Terra pulled Will forward. "Hex, this is Will Sall."

As the men shook hands, Will said, "Good to meet you in person, Hex."

"Likewise."

Hex turned to Terra, wrinkling his forehead. "Will does not have clearance here. How did he just walk in?"