Chapter 7 - Early Morning

Mary showed Terra to her bedroom, one of four small rooms upstairs. While not lavish, it looked comfortable enough. After pointing out the common bathroom and handing Terra fresh towels, Mary left with a smile, closing the door behind her.

Terra walked over to a mirror that hung over a small table and stared at her image with a blank face.

Leave it to me to make things so awkward.

Years ago, before becoming an agent, she had a steady boyfriend, but none since then. Having any kind of long-term romantic relationship as an agent was not a good idea. There were a few flings and hook-ups just to scratch a sexual itch, but they were ultimately unsatisfying. Long ago, Terra gave up the fantasy of a husband, family, and comfortable cottage.

After a warm soak in the bathtub, Terra returned to her room and slid into bed. It was indeed comfortable. Remembering the early breakfast appointment, she set the alarm app on her viewer. Nestling her head into the pillow, she mentally went over the questions she hoped to ask Will tomorrow. Part of her looked forward to the journey together.

*****

The alarm went off much too early for Terra's liking. She groaned, swiping blindly for the viewer, but only knocked off the side table. Tumbling out of bed, she fell to hands and knees, eyes blurred, searching for the device as it chirped an irritating tone. Once found, she silenced the alarm and collapsed to the floor on her back.

Why does it have to be so early in the morning?

After a few moments to regain her resolve, she prepared for the day. Bag repacked, she staggered down the stairs. Will motioned her to his table, cheerfully wide awake as he sipped tea. Another cup sat across from him, presumably for her. Mary sang to herself while cooking in the nearby kitchen.

Disgustingly perky so early.

Will said, "How did you sleep?"

She tried to stifle a yawn, failing that, put a hand over her gaping mouth. "The sleep was good, while it lasted. But I have to warn you, I am not a morning person and I might be cranky."

He grinned. "I gathered that from our conversations last evening. The tea should help wake you up."

Mary brought out two plates of eggs, sausage, bread, and fruit. The food was excellent and Terra's brain-fog lifted.

As they ate, Mary came out again with two brown paper bags. "I packed lunches for you. Once past the city, there is not much 'til Freehold." Leaving the bags, she hummed a merry tune while returning to the kitchen.

While Will excused himself to wash up, Mary came out to collect the empty plates. Terra caught her attention, saying, "Mary, thank you very much for your hospitality."

"You are quite welcome, Terra."

"How much do I owe you for the room?"

Mary waved her hand, dismissing the offer. "Oh, as Will's friend, there is no charge."

Confused, Terra lifted her eyebrows.

Mary continued. "Will is my second cousin. Sometime ago, he saved our business and possibly our lives from some nasty Dynasty thugs. So, we never let him pay, even though he sometimes tries."

He did that?

Will's truck featured numerous scratches and dents, and likely some good stories to go with them, but it also had an appealing ruggedness to it. Together, they wheeled Terra's motorcycle up a ramp onto the flat bed and secured it with web straps. Terra briefly considered using her Talent to telekinetically lift it, but her instinct as an agent was not to reveal that much about herself. After they slid on to the worn bench seat, Will drove northward, and soon they reached the city edge as the sunrise painted the eastern sky in reds and oranges.