Chapter 30 - Connections

Terra woke up in the middle of the night, events of the previous day swirling in her mind like a vivid dream. Did it really happen? But Will's sleeping presence beside her confirmed the reality of it all. For a few moments, she took in the gentle rise and fall of his chest. There was something almost mystical about him, a connection beyond the physical senses or aura that intoxicated her.

I have never felt so content. So blissful. But can this really last?

She snuggled up closer, her back to him, conforming body to body while reveling in his closeness. Will stirred briefly with an audible breath and wrapped an arm around her. Trembling, her emotions boiled and the truth in her heart reached her lips, escaping in a whisper. "I love you."

At once, part of her regretted the utterance. Why did I say that? He could not want someone like me. It only makes the inevitable breakup that much more painful.

A tear traced Terra's cheek as her persistent self-doubt cast shadows across her heart. She gently lifted his arm and slipped out of bed, being careful not to wake the man who shared it with her. Grabbing a blanket from the couch, she quietly opened the door and stepped out on to the porch, wrapping the blanket tightly around herself against the chill night air.

Stepping off the porch and peering at the dark sky, Terra's mind lost itself among the countless stars, each one a distant act of defiance against a cold dark universe. A meteor streaked across the sky, a fleeting blaze of light tracing its path.

So beautiful. But will love be only like a falling star, flaring brightly, then disappearing as quickly as it appeared?

What am I to do?

Terra closed her eyes. With mind stilled and face turned up, she listened carefully with her heart. An unexpected soothing calmness came over her as the anxiety fled into the night. She reopened her eyes to a new resolve.

What happened today I will forever cherish. What happens tomorrow I will accept with grace.

And I will not regret love.

Terra turned as she the door creaked open behind her. There stood Will.

"Are you alright?" he asked.

She smiled at him, climbed the steps, and kissed him deeply. "Yes. Very much. So much happened today, a lot to take in."

A shiver crawled through Terra's body as Will pulled her into an embrace.

"Yeah, it is," he replied, drawing her closer and wrapping the blanket around both of them. "Brrr, you're cold. Come back to bed and let me warm you back up."

"I would like that."

"One thing I must ask of you, though."

Terra's eyes widened as she gazed up at him, still within his arms. "What's that?"

Will grinned. "Please don't touch me with your cold feet."

Terra honored his request and slept soundly through the rest of the night until a pleasant scent woke her.

What smells so good? Something is cooking. Bacon, definitely bacon.

She rose from the bed, arms reaching high in a stretch. Golden sunlight streamed across the room from an east-facing window, while flames danced in the center stove, warming the cabin.

Will peeked around the partition. "Good morning. You missed another sunrise, Terra Lorr."

"Life is full of disappointments." Not bothering to cover her naked body, she sauntered over and hugged him from behind. "What are you cooking?"