Chapter 31 - Love and Decision

"It seems, well, awkward," Terra said as she propped herself up on an elbow and gazed at the man in bed beside her. "I am sleeping with my best friend's husband."

Will sighed. "And I am sleeping with my wife's best friend. Have to admit, that thought kept me from coming on to you sooner than I did. But I think Ell would be good with us."

Terra laid her head back down on Will's shoulder, nuzzling in. "I know. But as I recall, I came on to you first."

"Well, it was not as if I could resist." His voice took a playful tone. "I was hopelessly ensnared in your sensuous web of desire."

Popping her head up, Terra dropped her jaw. "Sensuous web? Oh, gag. Where did you get that line?"

"It was a package deal with the pickup lines." A sly grin rose on his face. "So, did you swoon? Good thing you are already laying down."

"I don't know whether to give you a kiss or hit you."

Will raised an eyebrow. "Umm, I have a preference."

Terra leaned in, brushing lips against him with a teasing kiss. Then she slugged him on the arm.

"Oww! Why'd you do that?"

Terra shrugged with a grin. "I couldn't decide."

As giggles overtook her, Terra laid her head back down on Will's shoulder. He responded by wrapping an arm around her and drawing her in. "Terra," he whispered, "there was something you said late last night. I heard you say that you loved me."

She pinched her eyes shut and pressed her cheek into the crook of his neck. A warm flush came to her cheeks. Oh, he did hear that. Her eyes fluttered open, and she stammered. "It... it just slipped out. I didn't mean to hit you with that."

"We agreed to be honest with each other, didn't we? So Terra Lorr, then let me be clear — I have fallen in love with you."

Terra trembled in his arms as the cloud of doubt re-emerged. "Will, do we really have a chance? I am an agent, an assassin. I have killed so many. Do you really want a long-term relationship with me?"

Will shifted to his side and maneuvered Terra, so he looked her in the eyes while cupping her cheek. "Did I not marry Anna, your fellow agent? Terra, I know what you did and who you are. But I have seen your heart, and it is beautiful. Besides, I have no standing to pass judgment. So in answer to your question: yes, I do want a long-term relationship with you."

Terra held her breath. His words swept through her like a warm breeze, chasing away the cloud that shrouded her heart.

Will continued, pulling her back into his arms. "But there is one thing that I need you to do. You need to end your association with the Blue Uprising."

"I know." Terra took a deep breath. "My loyalty is almost gone, anyway. But they may not so easily let me go."

"Why not? I could help convince them."

"So we just walk in and say I quit?"

Stroking her hair, he answered, "Essentially, yes. Weren't you supposed to deliver me? Ell... Anna believed together we could make a difference in this world. So let's get started."

"Hmm, Ginny told me I would have some decisions to make."

Will put a hand on his forehead and groaned. "Oh, I forgot about Ginny."

"What?"

"When we tell her about us, we might get the Stare."

Terra grinned as she shimmied on top of him, her nose almost touching his. "Save that for later. Right now, your only concern should be my sensuous web of desire."