Chapter 5 - First Encounter

Terra reached to switch on her motorcycle, then thought better of it, deciding to check in with her central contact first, if anything, just to appease Walt. She took out her viewer, pushed a few buttons, and waited for the encryption to enable. Putting it to her ear, she listened for a response.

"Hey, Hex. Just checking in."

"Hey, Terra. Are you staying out of trouble?"

"Really, Hex? You lead by asking me if found trouble?" Her grin betrayed the tone of faux offense.

Hex huffed. "How long have we worked together? Trouble follows you like a shadow. So?"

"Maybe a little trouble." She mumbled, then continued before Hex could question her further. "I met with the informant and he pointed me to someone named Will Sall. Dig up what info you can on him? I think he normally lives up in Freehold, but travels a fair amount."

"Will Sall. Got it. Will do!"

Terra groaned. "That was a really bad pun, even by your lax standards. Anyway, he may be here in Stronghold now. I am going to try to meet him. That is, if he is Will'ing."

"What was it you said about bad puns?" He paused. "Oh, Terra, there was an incident a few days ago at a tavern along the road between here and Stronghold. Seems a female Talent with long dark hair roughed up three locals, one of them from a prominent family. You wouldn't know anything about that, would you?"

"Umm, maybe?"

"Yeah, that's what I thought. But don't worry. The local police do not have many leads, and I hacked the report and changed a few details, enough to throw them off."

"Thanks, Hex, for having my back."

"Always do. Stay safe, Terra."

Terra pocketed her viewer and rode over to the Crossroads Tavern that Lar told her about. It was indeed located at the crossing of two major roads, true to its name. She stopped short in the parking lot and held her breath. There stood Will. He and another, a tall lanky younger man with brown hair, strained to transfer a large steel valve from one beat-up flatbed truck into another. His arm muscles bulged as they together lifted the load. The truck suspension bounced when they set it down on the bed.

If he is a powerful Talent, why did he not use his telekinetic power to move the valve?

The men tied down the valve with orange web-straps and brushed the dust off their clothes. Laughing, they slapped each other on the back while strolling into the tavern.

Terra parked her motorcycle in the gravel lot away from the trucks, then circled the building before entering herself. The tavern was a well-kept two-story building with a back add-on, likely the owner's residence. The inside featured a long, polished wooden bar lined with high stools. Wooden tables with chairs were dispersed orderly about the room. All classic tavern decor. A bartender stood behind the bar, whistling a cheerful tune as he cleaned. A set of stairs in the back led up to additional rooms.

Only a few others sat inside, an older man and woman having an animated conversation at a table off to the side and another man quietly drinking from a mug at the bar.

Will and his companion sat at a table near the back, peering over some sort of technical drawing or schematic unfolded on the table. Terra sat at a table close to Will, but not too close. The younger man shared a joke that she could not quite hear, and both men laughed out loud. They then looked back down at the diagram before them and began a discussion. Terra only caught a few phrases: "What were they thinking?"; "never use a fast-closing valve in a pipeline"; "make sure you". They laughed again at something funny.

Terra took a few moments to study Will as covertly as she could. Simple observation often revealed much about a person, which had served her well in the past. Although, she also knew a degree of objectivity was required because sometimes, appearances were misleading. Will wore a simple green tee-shirt, damp in spots from sweat, work pants of rugged brown fabric, and well-used sturdy boots. His calloused hands featured more than a few scrapes.

He looks more like a common working man than a powerful upper-class Talent.

The two men shook hands warmly and the younger one stood up. He nearly tripped over Terra as he walked toward the door, reaching to her table to steady himself.

"Oh, pardon me." He said with a slight gesture and nod.

Will did not notice the near-collision as he continued to scan the diagram while jotting a few notes on his viewer. Terra continued to study him. His mussed, sandy brown hair would have been unruly if it had been any longer. Tall and trim, but not skinny, he had well-defined muscles. A two-day stubble grew on an otherwise gentle face and deep green eyes held a hint of mischief. His was an easy kind of attractiveness, one without pretense or airs, natural as sunshine. And oh, that smile, so warm and inviting.

Down girl! Stay on task.

Tera shifted to the aura to check his Talent, done carefully, as she could just as easily reveal her strength to him, but he remained so intent at his task that he seemed not to notice. Nothing. She checked again — no aura at all.

How can this be? Everything has an aura, even rocks. Is there some kind of interference? He either has extremely low levels of Talent or he is very adept at concealing it.

Getting closer to him would require some preparation. Terra stood up and walked back to a small lavatory room. Peering into the mirror, she sighed.

I look like a mess!

Terra snuck quietly out the back door of the tavern and retrieved a few items from the motorcycle saddlebags. Returning to the lavatory, she washed her face and ran a brush through her hair. Not normally one for makeup, she decided some enhancement would be helpful. Finally, she unbuttoned a few more of her shirt buttons to show some cleavage, then pivoted in front of the mirror. Her long dark hair softly flowed as she moved, one of her best features, she thought. A slim face with high cheekbones, coppery skin, and amber eyes defined her facial appearance.

Not exactly top model material, but I can distract a man. All in the line of duty, of course.

She returned the items to her motorcycle and sauntered back into the tavern. Glancing around the room as if confused, she drew Will's attention.

Terra cooed in a low voice. "Excuse me, would you help me with something?"

Will looked up and let his eyes survey her body, stopping between her breasts where her pendant lay. So, he must be a breast man.

His eyes shot up to hers and widened as if shocked. "You... Are you Terra Lorr?"

Now it was Terra's turn to be shocked. Stunned, she froze and her mouth gaped, but no words came out.

A wide grin came over Will's face and his eyes sparkled. "You are! I had hoped to find you someday, but it seems you found me first."