Chapter 10 - Pancakes

Terra broke the hug but remained close, her hand tucked around Will's arm. "This day I will never forget."

"Eventful it was, but it is getting late," Will said. "But I am tired and you must be exhausted. You can stay at my place tonight. Tomorrow we will see if we can get you a guest room."

Will led Terra to a long rectangular brick building near the clinic containing several small apartments, side-by-side. He unlocked the first door they came to and ushered Terra inside. Although modest and efficient, it had a warm and comfortable ambiance, much like Will himself. An overstuffed brown couch, a short wooden table, a padded upright chair, and a tall lamp took up most of the living room area. A half wall partitioned off a small kitchen area with a wooden table and two chairs.

Gesturing about the room, he said, "Courtesy of the community of Freehold, perks of my job."

Will led Terra further inside to a single bedroom. "You can have the bed. I'll sleep on the couch." A protest reached Terra's tongue, but he waved it off. "The couch is comfortable. I will sleep just fine."

"Thank you."

A warm shower washed away the day's grime. She came out of the bathroom wearing one of Will's t-shirts as pajamas and smiled when she noticed him already snoring on the couch. Sliding into the bed, the covers wrapped around her like a hug and Will's faint scent on the pillow soothed her.

This was a wondrous day.

Within moments, a sweet, contented sleep claimed her.

Terra woke to a pleasant smell. Sunlight streamed in narrow lines through the bedroom window slats. She put on her last pair of clean clothes — black leggings and a green tunic.

Will flipped a pancake as she entered the small kitchen. "Morning. Sleep well?" he said.

"Best sleep I have had in a long time." A smile brightened her face. "Will, are you making me pancakes?"

"Yeah. Do you like pancakes?"

"Of course," she teased. "But don't you know that a man making a woman pancakes in the morning is a sign of commitment?"

Will tilted his head while wrinkling his forehead. "Huh? It's just breakfast."

After breakfast, Will and Terra made the short walk to the clinic. Jen's face lit up in a big smile and she hugged them each from her upright hospital bed. Tevin dipped his head in greeting as the baby slept peacefully in his arms.

Will whispered, hoping not to disturb the baby, "How are all of you doing?"

"The doctor says we are good, thanks to the two of you."

Tevin stood up. A tiny face peek out from a blanket-wrapped bundle in his arms. "You have not held him yet. Would you like to?"

Will hesitated. "Yes, but I do not want to wake him. Never mess with a sleeping baby."

"Only one day old, and we have already discovered that he sleeps or wakes when he wants to and there is nothing anyone can do the change that."

Will took a chair, and Tevin placed the baby in his arms. With a cute yawn, the newborn opened tiny eyes, peering into Will's eyes. Will cooed, "Hello, little one. Do you remember me? We just met yesterday."

"You're a natural, Will," Jen remarked. He usually screams when he wakes up."

Terra asked, "Have you chosen a name?"

Jen replied with a question of her own. "What is your full name, Terra?"

"Umm, Terra Lorr."

Jen raised an eyebrow at her husband, and he nodded. "Then his name shall be Lorr Borne."

After saying goodbyes, Terra walked in a daze, her eyes wide. Wow! A baby was named after me.

They made their way to the community center, a long single-story block building shaped like a T. Will opened the door for Terra and followed her inside, motioning her down the short hallway toward the office of the Community Services Director.

He stopped her near the door, holding up a hand. "Ginny is my aunt on my father's side and the one who took me in after my parents died. But I have to warn you, though, she is hard to take sometimes. There isn't much of a social filter between her brain and vocal cords, but deep down, she has a good heart."

Will opened the door and directed Terra inside. A woman with shoulder-length silver-platinum hair sat at a wooden desk with her back to them. She slammed down her viewer from what must have been a heated phone conversation, making Terra jump, and grumbled to herself, "There's always one more idiot than you plan on."

Will knocked to get Ginny's attention. She turned and rose with a smile, extending her arms to wrap Will in a tight hug. Terra studied the older woman. Lifelines marked a slim face, but there was a timeless beauty about her that Terra admired, but behind it all, a fierceness and take-no-crap quality shone through. Terra sensed that Ginny had some level of Talent, perhaps a T5, capable of moderate levels of telekinesis and aura-view. This was not a lady to be taken lightly.

Ginny's expression turned to a glare. "You're late."

Will shrugged. "There were some, umm, distractions along the way."

"There always is with you," Ginny huffed. "Although rumor has it your so-called distraction was extraordinary."

"That it was." Will motioned Terra to his side. "Ginny, this is Terra Lorr."

Ginny shook Terra's hand with a firm grip, then turned again to Will with a smirk. "At least you didn't pick up some floozy at a seedy tavern."

He tilted his head with a small grin. "Well, actually I did pick her up at a tavern--"

Ginny pointed a finger and glared. "Will, you be nice to her." She turned back to Terra, softening her expression."Terra, I am happy to meet you. I heard about the wonderful things you did for that family."

Terra replied with a smile, "We just visited them. They are doing well."

Will asked, "Is there an empty guest room Terra could use?"

"The apartment next to yours is available now for short-term guests. She can use it as long as she wants. Terra, you can also use our public dining room for meals. Have you had breakfast yet?"

"Yes, Will fixed me pancakes earlier."

Ginny narrowed her eyes and placed hands on her hips. "Will, you made pancakes for a woman you just met?"

Will lifted his arms, palms up. "What is it with women and pancakes?"

Ginny shook her head. "Terra, don't fall for his charm. He is a good man, but still a man. Something in the Y chromosome makes them clueless. You have to train them up to get something useful."

Terra suppressed a grin as Will wrinkled his forehead with a 'who me?' expression on his face.

"Terra, come with me." Ginny led Terra into the office next door, directing a woman there to set up the guest room for Terra and then returned to her office.

While the woman occupied herself with the registration details, Terra stepped into the hallway at Ginny's office door and listened through the crack.

Ginny said in a hushed tone, "Have you told her?"

"No. I need to be sure we can trust her."

"Tread carefully, Will. She is a smart girl. Eventually, she will figure it out on her own."

Terra held her breath. So, what is this secret? Is there a dark side to Will?