Chapter 39 - Karma

Terra laid Will down on his back across the seat, his knees bent. He let out a ragged breath and his eyes drifted closed. With face stark white, he showed symptoms of shock.

Please, Will! Please stay alive!

From her medical training, Terra knew his life laid in delicate balance, tipping closer to death with each drip of blood. She caressed his cheek with her hand. Fearing the worst, she dipped her head and let out waves of bitter sobs.

Lifting her head, she prayed for the first time in her life. God, if you would hear me. Please help him. Please...

As she placed a gentle kiss on his forehead, a new perception came to Terra, vaguely fuzzy at first. She raised her head, holding her breath, as a vision of Will came through the aura.

An aura! He has an aura now!

Wiping away her tears, Terra moved fully into the aura, not questioning why now he appeared in the aura, nor caring if anyone else nearby might sense her intrusion. But with his aura so weak, like his life force, she strained with the visualization needed to do psi-surgery. Quick action was required with death so close.

The dart damaged parts of his liver, kidney, and colon. First things first — stop the bleeding. Searching, she located the primary source, a severed artery in the liver, then telekinetically clamped and sealed it. Then she moved on to the smaller bleeders in order of severity, sealing them. Next, she repaired a colon tear to prevent the risk of infection and sepsis.

With most of the bleeding stopped, Terra withdrew from the aura and breathed deeply. There was some hope now, and she clung stubbornly to it, but Will remained in shock with dangerously low blood pressure.

He is not saved yet.

Terra raced down the highway, water blurring her vision. She was unsure where to go, where to get help, but then recognized a side road.

Layla! She would help us.

Tires squealed as Terra turned down the narrow road, desperately trying to recall the route.

There it is!

Skidding to a stop near the house, Terra sprinted to the front door and pounded on it. A bulky man with white streaked hair opened it, his eyes widening at the bloodied woman before him.

Terra did not hide the desperation in her voice. "Please help us!"

Layla appeared in the doorway before her father could answer. Her eyes bulged. "Terra? Is that you? What happened?"

"Will was shot." She pleaded, "Please, we need your help. Is there a hospital nearby?"

Layla turned to her father and grasped his arm. "Dad, these are the people who saved me!"

The man shook his head. "The nearest hospital or doctor is several hours away."

"He won't last that long," Terra wailed. "He needs intravenous fluids now. Is there anything nearby? Anything at all?"

The man's eyes lit up. "The vet! He might have what you need and he lives just down the road." He turned to his daughter. "Layla, go fetch him. Quickly!"

Terra yelled to Layla as she ran to the farm truck. "Tell him shock from blood loss. And bring IV fluids!"

Layla's father helped Terra carry Will inside. By then, his wife had prepared the couch on which they laid him. Terra lifted Will's legs and slid another cushion under to elevate them, hoping to conserve what blood remained for his brain and vital organs. She then covered him with a blanket and kneeled beside him, gently holding a hand and laying her forehead against his shoulder.