Chapter 21 - Distant Threat

Morning sunlight streamed through an east window, lighting up the opposite wall and waking Terra. She found herself in her own bed. Sliding out from under a blanket, she ambled to the living room to find Will snoring on the couch.

Will must have carried me to my bed last night. He is a good man.

Gazing at his sleeping form, Terra watched his chest rise and fall in slow rhythm. There was a gentle strength about him she admired. But her favorite self-doubt pushed away the comforting glow that rose in her chest.

Too good for someone like me.

A refreshing shower cleaned off yesterday's physical remains. Coming out of the bedroom, Terra found Will sitting on the couch, stretching muscular arms overhead. She leaned against the doorframe and gazed at him.

Will cocked his head and returned her gaze. "How are you feeling?"

"Better now." The anguished grief had retreated, but Terra knew it hadn't gone far. An idea came to her. "How about I fix you breakfast?"

"I would be happy to--"

Terra interrupted him, holding up a hand. "No. I need to do this."

"Okay then. Pancakes?"

A half grin came to her. "Too complicated. You do not know how much I lack in cooking skills." She bit her lower lip. "Also, umm, I don't have any food, so we will need to go to your place."

While Will took a shower, Terra cooked scrambled eggs on the small induction stove, presuming that she could not mess that up, then rummaged through his pantry to find a partial loaf of sweet dark bread. After toasting two thick slices of the bread, she scooped generous portions of scrambled eggs over them, and topped it all off with slices of cheese. She stepped back to admire her newfound culinary skills.

Will came out of the bathroom shirtless, drying his hair with a towel. "Wow. This looks good. What do you call it?"

"It is, umm, eggs Terra. My new specialty."

Terra poured tea as they sat down to eat. The creation actually tasted good, to Terra's surprise, although maybe it was just her hunger. After finishing the breakfast, Will took a couple of small apples from a basket on the counter and tossed one to her.

Terra paused between bites and held his eyes. "Will, thank you for staying with me last night. I needed that. And thank you for being such a gentleman."

His smile cast warmth. "You are worth that, Terra."

I am not so sure.

*****

In the Dynasty Capital City, a wide-eyed soldier wearing a crisp gray dress uniform limped along with his unit commanding officer down a long hallway, leading to a pair of massive wooden doors. Everything about the hallway spoke of power and wealth. White marble floor shined in the light, ornate carvings adorned the polished wooden ceiling supported by wooden arches, and stained-glass windows overlooked an immaculate formal garden outside. The sheer opulence cowed him.

The pair reached the doors, and the officer knocked. A servant in a red silk robe opened it and motioned them inside to a foyer that led to yet another set of massive wooden doors, these inlaid with gold. The officer stopped before a huge marble-topped desk, stiffening as if to attention, then addressed the robed man sitting behind it. "We have an appointment."

The robed man motioned to a set of polished stone benches along the wall. "You will wait until summoned."

As they sat down, the soldier turned toward the officer and opened his mouth. "Sir, what--"

The officer silenced him with a curt gesture. "Do not speak unless requested."

After what seemed an eternity to the soldier, the robed man stood and opened one door. "The Minister will see you now."

The two entered a luxurious and cavernous office that took the soldier's intimidation to the next level. He stopped and dropped his jaw, shocked at who waited ahead — Minister Necros, the Dynasty Chief Enforcer. The officer pushed him forward until they stopped at attention before a large polished wooden table, behind which sat Necros and three others.

The Minister wore a ceremonial gold mask that signified him as a powerful Talent. And so he was, second in power only to Emperor Sage V himself. The fine gold mesh completely obscured his face, as such a powerful Talent had little need for sight besides the aura. He addressed the officer. "Commander, I believe you have some interesting information?"

"Yes, sir." He turned toward the soldier. "Private, tell the Minister what you told me."

"Umm, yes, sir. I was with my platoon up in the Highland Province and, during the fighting, got separated from them. The Uprising was laying a lot of fire on us and..."

"Get to the point, private," the officer blurted out.

"Yes, sir. I was wounded in the leg near Norhold. Then I was picked up along with some hurt civilians and taken to Freeport. While I was laying there, I saw this woman doing psi-surgery on some others. She was very good at it."

Necros interjected, "Describe this woman."

"She had long, dark hair and light brown skin. Probably 'bout a hundred-and-seventy-centimeters tall or so. She was pretty."

"Anything else, private?"

"I think her name was Terra, sir."

Necros leaned back. "I find it odd that they took in a soldier with civilians. Why is that private?"

The private gulped as a wave of nausea swept through his gut. "Well sir, I took off my uniform and put on some other clothes in case there were Uprising sympathizers around."

Necros turned to the officer. "Commander, that will be all. And see to an investigation as to why this private left his platoon and appeared out of uniform."

"It shall be done, sir." The commander saluted and walked out with the visibly shaken private.

Addressing the person to his right, who wore a silver Talent mask, Necros said, "What do you think?"

"It may be her," the assistant replied in a female voice. "But there is more. Our forces encountered a powerful unknown Talent in Freehold just yesterday during a skirmish. Only a few of that squad returned alive."

Necros placed his elbows on the table and folded bony hands. "She was stupid to expose herself like that. Caring for these peasants is a weakness we can exploit. We cannot ignore this opportunity."