Chapter 35 - First Test

Will whispered to Terra. "Looks like our first test." He pulled up the hood of his cloak over his head and yelled back at the five as they stepped closer. "Back off! This is your one and only warning."

The well-dressed man in front scoffed as he and the woman telekinetically suspended a set of fighting spikes before them, pointing forward with obvious menace. The other three men pulled handguns, flanking Will, Terra, and Layla on two sides.

A smirk grew on the woman's dark face. "Now, what were you saying?"

Will glanced at Terra and shrugged. "I did warn them."

With arms held out from his side, Will mentally cast the Darkness at the two colorfully dressed Talents before him. The spikes clattered to the ground as they yelled out, staggering on their feet and eventually slumping down to the ground. The other three, not affected by the Darkness, looked back and forth to each other, unsure of what to do. Will took advantage of their uncertainty and leaped toward Layla, pushing her to relative safety behind a low wall. By this time, Terra had recovered her abilities, extending her hands to deliver a telekinetically shove against the first to raise a gun. The gunman tumbled across the road and bounced off the curb.

Dropping to a crouch, Terra delivered another push, sending one more gunman flailing across the road. Crossing arms, she pulled up a shield as the remaining man fired, blocking the projectile, letting it clink down to the street. As practiced, she narrowed her focus to the gun aimed by the remaining gunman, blocking the charge pulse. He pulled the trigger and nothing happened but a faint click. His eyes widened and he held a breath while desperately pulling the trigger, again and again. Distracted, he did not see Will charge. A hard right hook to the gunman's jaw put him to the street, face down.

With narrowed eyes, Will walked over to the two Talents as they writhed on the street. Wide eyes gazed up at him. Terra looked away as Will cast the Darkness directly into them, stripping them of their Talent. They passed out.

After satisfying themselves of no more threats, Will picked up the discarded guns as Terra gathered up the spikes. Then they dragged the vanquished one-by-one to the curb, laying them in an orderly row. Three were unconscious, the other two broken and moaning.

Layla emerged from behind the wall with her mouth and eyes fully open. Will gestured to the five and asked her, "Do you know them?"

She pointed at the colorfully dressed man and woman. "Those two run the clubs. And the rest work for them to keep us in line." She turned toward Will. "Are they...?"

"They are still alive, but they will never threaten you or anyone else again."

Others emerge from the strip clubs and bars in all kinds of dress to form a large uneven circle, gawking at the scene.

A gray-haired woman ran up to Layla, and they embraced each other. "Oh, Layla. I feared what they were gonna to do to you when you run off. What happened?"

Layla smiled as she gestured toward Will and Terra. "These two. They saved me."

Terra asked the woman. "Is there anyone else?"

"Nah. The others high-tailed it outta here when they saw what happened."

Terra stepped up on the short wall and addressed the crowd. "Everyone listen!" She pointed at the five figures on the ground by the curb. "These people are no longer in charge. It is up to you what happens next. Make it something worthwhile!"

Terra's heart warmed to all the smiles and scattered cheers.

Will whispered to Terra, "I think we best leave now." He took up Layla's hand. "Let us take you home?"

"Okay," Layla replied, as her eyes lit up.

The crowd parted as they drove away. Layla, sitting on the bench seat between Will and Terra, looked back one last time, waving. Then a smile broadened on her face as she looked ahead.

Will pulled back his hood. "You have a beautiful smile, Layla."

"Thank you," she replied, blushing.

"So, why were they after you?"

"They wanted me to..." She paused as her voice cracked. "I couldn't do that no more, so I just run off. But I still don't understand. Why did you risk yourself to save someone like me? I'm just a whore."

"Like we told you," Will replied, looking straight ahead along the dark road. "You are a woman of worth."

"But..."

Terra injected. "Layla, just go with it. He saved me too."

Layla dipped her head. "I don't know if my family will take me back. Had a big fight with my dad. And the things I done..."

Terra put a hand on Layla's shoulder. "Reconciliations can be difficult and we don't know your family, but after a year, I think they will want you back again. I have hope."

"I don't know." A tear traced the young woman's cheek. "I hope so too."

Reaching into the truck's front storage bin, Terra extracted a napkin and handed it to Layla. "Here. Your mascara is running. Best clean it up before we get you home."

Will tilted the rear-view mirror so Layla could use it to clean off her makeup. After several minutes of silence along the dark road, Layla caught his eyes in the reflection and muttered softly. "You're that Hooded Man?"

Terra answered for Will. "Yes, he is. But we need you to do something for us. Do not tell anyone our names. Would you do that for us?"

"Okay, I will."

Will changed the subject. "Tell us some more about your family and your farm."

A smile rose on Layla's face as she told stories of her childhood, the farm, and spoke glowingly of her family until they pulled into the long driveway toward the old house she described. The sky brightened with the first light of dawn.

Layla's stories warmed Terra's heart. There is love here. She will be okay.

Will stopped near the house and turned off the truck.

Layla asked. "Will you come in and meet everyone? We can fix you some breakfast."

Answering, Terra said, "Tempting, but I think we should minimize our exposure. I hope you understand."

"Okay."

Outside, near the truck, Layla embraced both Will and Terra. "Thank you for saving me!"

Will said, "Remember that you are worth saving. Now, have a good life and do good things."

Layla approached the front door with hesitation, climbing the three steps one-by-one, as Will drove a short distance away.

Terra looked back as she put a hand on his shoulder. "Will, stop here. If Layla's family does not take her back..."

Before Layla could knock, the door opened. An older man and woman stood before her. They paused for a moment, then wrapped her in tight hugs. With a satisfied smile, Will drove off.

Terra slid over the seat until her hip rubbed against Will, then laid her head on his shoulder. "You did good, Will."

"Correction. We did good. It warms the heart, doesn't it?"

She snuggled closer, laying her head on his shoulder and allowing his arm to circle around her shoulders. "Hmm. Yes, it does."

Grinning, Will pointed east and said with exaggerated intonation, "Oh look, Terra. You're up for the sunrise!"

Terra cracked a crooked smile. "Okay, I'll look at it. But it doesn't count if you've been up all night."