Chapter 11 - School

Will walked out of the community center, leading Terra toward his truck. He picked up three boxes from the back and gave one to Terra to carry.

Terra grinned. "Ginny is, shall we say, unique? I like her. I have to know, does she have a long-term relationship with anyone?"

Will shook his head. "Never anything long-term, and I think you saw why. But there have been lots of boyfriends. She used to go through men like napkins at a pig roast. I am not sure, but I think there have been a few girlfriends too. Really don't want to know what all goes on behind her closed bedroom door." He turned to Terra with a grin. "I think I am going to have to keep you away from her. She could be a bad influence."

Terra giggled. "Now I definitely want to spend some time with her."

Will firmed his face, turning serious. "She gives me a hard time, and I return the favor, but she was there for me after my parents died. I might have wasted away if not for her." His alluring smile came back, and he pointed at himself. "And look at me now. A successful, yet clueless, man."

They rounded the brick sided school building, passing under a long wooden portico with a traditional bell tower extending from the arched peak, then coming to a double glass front door. "Here we are."

As they entered the administration office and stacked the boxes in a corner, a young woman in a short black skirt ran up and wrapped Will in a hug. Her heavy makeup and carefully styled long blonde hair seemed a bit more appropriate for a nightclub than the school office. The woman pulled back from the hug, but only slightly, staying close with her hands on his arms and smoky eyes gazing up into his.

She purred, "Oh Will, it is so good to see you. I've missed you so much."

Terra gawked. Can she be any more obvious?

Will stammered a reply. "Umm, hi Starr. Here are the supplies you wanted, and some books for Moya's classroom."

A short, middle-aged woman with streaks of gray in her brown hair came out from an inner office. She smiled warmly and gave Will a hug.

Does everyone around here hug?

"Thank you so much! Moya and the kids will be happy to see you again."

Will motioned Terra over beside him. "Terra, this is Starr, the school administrative assistant, and Emma, the principal."

Terra dipped her head. "Pleased to meet you both."

Emma shook Terra's hand warmly, but Starr narrowed her eyes, returning only an icy nod.

As Will walked down the hallway carrying one box, Terra grinned as she put her hand on his arm. In a mocking, shrill voice, she said, "Oh, Will, it is so good to see you!"

His head tilted to the side. "Huh?"

"Starr. I think she wants you."

He shrugged. "I don't know. She has always been friendly."

Terra dropped her chin. "Will, she was in full flirt mode! Didn't you notice that? Maybe you are clueless."

Will shrugged again as they reached the classroom door. Terra peeked in to see about twenty young children, probably six to ten years old, with heads down at communal tables completing some sort of writing task before them. Moya, the dark-haired teacher per the name placard on the door, sat at a scuffed desk and watched her students intently. Will knocked softly to catch Moya's attention and walked into the room. The principal came up behind them.

All at once, several shouts of "Mr. Sall!" rang out, and the children rushed him. Will staggered backward and fell, slumping to the floor within a writhing mass of kids. Moya rolled her eyes with a sigh. Her hard-won classroom discipline was gone in an instant, but from her smile, she seemed not to mind so much. Terra leaned against the door frame with a hand to her mouth to suppress laughter.