Chapter 54 - The Finders

Terra jumped as Will slammed his fist down on the table, hard enough that two metal plates resting on the table's edge clattered to the floor. He seethed, "Why won't they just leave us alone?"

Terra cast her moist eyes downward. "I'm so sorry, Will. The Finders... I don't know how they tagged me."

Now there is nowhere I can hide. This is a death sentence.

Will paced the room, clenching his fists as Terra drew a sleeve across her wet eyes. She stepped in front of him and placed her hands on his shoulders. To her, there seemed only one choice.

"I am a danger to you and Anna. I have to leave..."

Terra yelped as Will pushed her back up against the wall. Startled by such a physically angry response from the man she loved, tears traced her cheek. Drawing arms into herself, she shuddered.

He yelled, baring his teeth. "Not an option! We stay together no matter what!"

Terra gasped as the Darkness pulsed from him, wave after sickening wave, driven by his rage.

From her crib, Anna woke and wailed. The piercing cry cut into Terra's heart. Will dipped his head and walked outside, slamming the door behind him. Terra gathered up her daughter, holding her close, and one of Terra's tears fell from her cheek onto the little crying face in her lap. A sad realization welled up in her.

This may never end, and our daughter would inherit our fears. After they take me, they would come for Anna and Will.

Terra whispered as she kissed her daughter, "I am sorry, little one. The world will not let us be."

Terra walked outside to the porch carrying Anna. Will sat dangling his feet off the edge with his face in his hands. She sat down and nuzzled up against him.

After a moment, Will put his arm around his wife and daughter. "I'm sorry. It's... I just can't lose you like I did Ell. I failed her..."

"No Will," Terra whispered. "You gave her love and a longer life, more than she would have had otherwise."

"It's just... We got complacent, thinking the Finders stopped looking for her. I should have been with her. Then she led them away, sacrificing herself to protect me. I can't allow you to do that."

"It was never your fault. This I know. The blame lies only with the Dynasty."

"Promise me you will not leave us." A single sob shook him. "Please."

Our only hope is together. Terra turned and placed a soft kiss on Will's cheek. "I promise."

Terra looked down at her daughter, now back asleep in her arms. "But whatever we do, we must keep Anna safe. That must be our overriding consideration."

Will nodded. "Agreed."

Terra snuggled in closer, letting Will hold her. "I love you so much."

Will kissed her damp cheek. "And I love you. Always."

Dinner that evening was a somber affair. Terra and Will prepared a stew together, but spoke few words. As they sat down to eat, Will broached the question most in her mind.

"What do we do now?"

Terra lifted her spoon, but held it a moment in thought. "Just because a Finder has my aura scent doesn't mean they are actively searching for me, especially with the war preparations. The Uprising has a spy with the Finders. Maybe Hex will tell me what he knows."

"Okay. In the meantime, stay close to me. My presence will make it harder for them to find you. That seemed to work with Ell. For a while." Will put his spoon down. "But someday they will find you. I do not want to live fearing each day may be your last."

Terra stilled in thought, holding a hand to her chin. "What if we took a more active role in our fate? What if we could take the fight to them on our terms?"

Will arched his eyebrows. "Are you talking about siding with the Uprising in the war?"

"No. Well, not directly." Terra pulled back from the table and put her hands together while firming her lips. "If we took out the Emperor, and his Finders, the war might not even happen. And the Dynasty would immediately fall."

"Are you suggesting an assault on the Emperor's Palace in Central City?" Will dropped his chin. "How could we get even close?"

Terra separated her hands, holding them up to make a point. "Think about it! The Dynasty is moving forces north in preparation for the war. This is a fight the Emperor cannot afford to lose, so he would pull troops away from the Capital City and probably from the palace guard too. My Talent is more powerful than ever now, maybe on par with the Emperor himself. Most of the palace defense is Talent based anyway, which your Darkness would negate."

Will rubbed his chin. "Even so, we would still need help to pull this off."

"Neige and his men! He owes us a favor and I think he would welcome a chance to get back at the Emperor. He is on the Dynasty wanted list, like me."

Terra stood and leaned forward with both hands against the table. "I think Hex would help us, too. Even the Library might provide some support." A smile born of hope crept to her face. "Will, this could work!"

"It's a bold move," Will responded. "The Emperor would not expect anything like that. What about the timing?"

"From what Avin told us, a full-scale war is likely many months out. We have that much time to prepare. And the closer to war outbreak, the better chance we have of success, because their attention would be away from the Emperor's palace."

Will steeled his expression and nodded. "Perhaps it is time to stop hiding. Okay, contact your friend Hex and see what he can do. Then we can talk to Ginny and Joseph about Library involvement."

Anna stirred in her crib with a peep. Will stepped over, picked her up, and sat back down at the table with her cradled in his lap.

"What do you think, little girl?" he said. "Would you like your mommy and daddy to kick some Dynasty butt?"

Anna squirmed, letting out a string of babbles. Will gently caressed her, but as his finger traced along her cheek, she turned her head toward it with her mouth open.

Terra laughed and took Anna from Will's lap. "I think right now she is more interested in food."

*****

The next morning, Terra picked up her viewer. "Hex?"

"Terra, did you get my messages? I'm sorry."

"Thanks for letting me know about the Finders," Terra said. "Do you know how active they are searching for me?"

"From what we can tell, not much. Sure, some Finders looking for you, but most have other higher priorities. Also, most of the Enforcers have been busy with the military movements or keeping the populace under control, particularly with the public protests against higher taxes and military conscription. But don't get complacent. They have not forgotten you."

"I know." Terra paused, then continued. "Hex, I need a favor. Would you send me what you have on the Emperor's palace layout and security?"

"Damn, Terra," Will huffed. "I could get in enough trouble just talking to you, but if they found out I passed intelligence, well, it would be unpleasant."

"Please, Hex. We really need this."

"Why would..." Hex quieted for a moment. "What the hell, Terra! You're not thinking of... That would be suicide."

"We have some, umm, special advantages. I think we have a very good chance to pull it off. Just think what it would mean to the Uprising if we took out the Emperor. Even if we fail, it would distract the Dynasty from their war preparations. The Uprising can't lose."

"Well, that might keep my ass out of a dark hole if I get caught. Okay, I'll send you what I have."

"Thank you Hex. You are a good friend."

"Not sure I am doing you any favors," Hex said. "This is a crazy idea."

"Crazy enough, it might work. Anyway, better than waiting for the Enforcers to show up on my doorstep."

"Just don't get yourself killed. Okay, Terra?"