Chapter 55 - Assault Preparation

Start from the beginning

The women returned to the cabin, and closing the door quietly.

Terra whispered with glee. "Oh, that was so adorable."

Kori stifled a giggle. "Tough guys are no match for little girls. I am going to remember this forever."

About a half-hour later, Will, with hair ruffled and eyes half closed, walked in carrying a fussy baby girl. Anna had developed several versions of fussing. This one, Terra recognized, meant hunger. She took her daughter and prepared to nurse.

Terra asked, "No fish?"

Will shook his head. "The girls were not interested in fishing. So we went exploring around the pond instead."

Neige walked in next, holding his daughter's hand, who rubbed eyes not quite awake. Dried mud caked parts of her body and clothing.

Kori kneeled down in front of her dirty daughter. "Oh, my little Mora. What did you get into this time?"

Neige shrugged. "You know, her and mud holes."

"Come on. Let's get you cleaned up."

As Neige glanced around the small cabin with an approving nod, Will gestured and said, "This is our sanctuary, where we escape the world."

Neige and his family had arrived at the cabin only two hours prior, escorted by Will and Terra. Immediately upon arrival, Mora pointed at the pond with a playful smile and ran towards it, pulling her father along. Will followed shortly later with Anna and a fishing pole, which would be unused.

After dinner, Will, Terra, and Neige gathered around the table. Kori played with the two girls, who babbled to each other.

Will spread out a diagram of the Emperor's palace on the table. For the next hour, the three discussed strategies and risks as they examined the drawing.

When the discussions ended, Neige kneeled down in front of his wife. "Kori, are you still good with this?"

"Is it going to work?"

"The strategy is solid, but there are risks. Like always."

Kori nodded, but tension showed on her face. "As long as the Emperor is in power, we will live in shadows. If you believe the plan will work, then I am good with it." Turning to Terra, she asked, "What will you do with Anna?"

Terra looked over at Will, and he answered for her. "She will stay with her grandmother in Freehold. Mora and you would be welcome as well. You would be under the protection of the Library."

Terra stood and addressed Kori and Neige. "Thank you both. We still have much to prepare. There should be enough time, but if the war breaks out prematurely, we will need to move quickly. We will get back with the Library for what intelligence they have and what support they would commit to us. Neige, begin gathering your men and equipment and set up training. Agreed?"

Both Will and Neige nodded.

Will said with a smile, "You are welcome to stay with us for a few days. There are still more mud holes for little Mora to find."

*****

As Terra and Will sat in Joseph's office, Ginny walked back and forth with a sleeping Anna slumped over her shoulder. The joyful mood carried over from an upbeat church service turned somber.

Terra started the discussion. "Neige has agreed to help us, eager even. He has as much a personal stake in the outcome as we do."

Will asked Joseph. "What have you heard of the war preparations? That may force our timing."

"Our sources indicate the troop buildup and positioning are still happening," Joseph replied with a frown. "We still think the Uprising will define the timing and the Dynasty strategy will be to draw them into a battlefield of their choosing. The Dynasty force has superior numbers, but less motivation than the Uprising. If I had to guess, the Uprising will strike by late autumn, before the winter snows." Joseph dipped his head. "It will be bloody."

Terra spoke. "Our chances would improve if we had some sort of distraction away from our point of entry. Is this something the Library could provide?"

"I think so," Joseph replied with a nod. "There are periodic protests in the Capital City, despite the Dynasty's efforts to suppress them. We could arrange a noisy one near the palace with enough lead time. We also have a warehouse near the palace that you could use as a staging area, and people there now that monitor palace activity. I have requested regular reports."

"That would be perfect."

Joseph drew down his dark bushy eyebrows and firmed his face. "My friends, these are dark times. I support this action, but I still have reservations about the risks."

At that moment, Anna awoke and launched into newfound vocal babbling skills while squirming happily in Ginny's arms. Joseph leaned back and let out a rolling laugh. As eyes turned to him, he explained. "Here we are discussing the fate of the world and this baby girl reminds us to enjoy every moment we can." He tickled Anna gently on her belly, to her giggling delight. "You truly are a light in dark times, little one."