Chapter 28

Ricky placed the decor pillow back on the vanity, then stood in front of me. There was a thick silence that fell upon the room, both of us felt this was the end of it all. In that moment, I questioned things. He looked down at his feet. "Well, now what?"

"What do you mean?" I asked him. Something seemed to be bugging him, I couldn't figure out exactly what. There he stood, inches away from me. My knees were still shaky from feeling his lips against my core. He made me feel things physically that I haven't truly felt with anyone else.

He lifted his head so his blue eyes peered down at me. "Besides the fact that I'm positive Ozzie thinks we're having an affair, you're going to be out of my life forever."

"That's not true." I sighed. "You can always visit."

My selfish side set in.  I didn't want to give up Ricky, but I knew that Elvis loved me. I couldn't hurt him like this anymore.

"And do what? Be your humble servant whenever you want to—" Ricky's nostrils flared. "I keep trying to get your attention, Lauren, but you only want it in one way."

"I just have my mind set." I lifted my head up high. Ricky was amazing, but I knew what was best for my future. Ricky didn't take that well. He was visibly angry, no matter how hard he tried I wouldn't see things his way.  I couldn't see our future.

"Such a great decision that is." Ricky turned around and walked across the hall to his room. With the slamming of the door, the conversation was over.

The next day, I was at the airport with all of the Nelsons. Harriet cried as Ozzie checked if I had everything. David stood there saying his goodbyes as well. Ricky stood off to the side, one of his striped button up shirts were tucked into his cuffed jeans. His black sunglasses shaded his blue eyes, keeping him incognito in the bustling crowd.

I hugged Harriet as her tears got on my Chanel suit. "I'm sorry, I just can't believe you're leaving."

"I can't believe it either." I pouted at her. Then, I stepped toward Ozzie and gave him a hug.

"If that Elvis boy ever messes up, you have my number." Ozzie mumbled into my ear and I laughed with a pat of his shoulder. Then, I walked to David, who had now graduated college.

"I wish I got to you know better while you were in the house, Lauren." David flashed me a smirk.

"Oh trust me, I wish so too." I laughed, then wrapped him in a hug as well. "I'm so thankful you all have been like a family to me."

"Lauren! Lauren Caldwell!?" A man rushed over to us as we all huddled in a hug. I looked over to the man as I wiped away a tear. "When did you begin your affair with Ricky Nelson?"

"What?" I furrowed my eyebrows.

"I don't know what story you've festered up but we won't be playing around with foolishness." Ozzie stepped in front of me to shield me from the man.

"A legitimate source has informed us that this girl, Lauren Caldwell, has had an affair with Ricky Nelson and Elvis." The man informed Ozzie, then pushed past him to Ricky. "How do you feel being a negro girl's second best?"

"Ricky, you don't say a word!" Ozzie pointed as he walked back in front of the man, holding his son back. "This is not Ricky Nelson."

"Are you sure?" The man teased. "Hey Rick, let me see those baby blues."

"You need to leave our family alone right this moment. All of these allegations are false." Harriet spoke up as she stepped toward the spectacle.

"Wait? Is that really Ricky Nelson?" A girl near us asked as she watched us argue with the man. "I can't believe it! I figured it had to be someone else!"

"Of course it is, can't you see Ozzie and Harriet?" Her friend asked then both girls rushed over to us. "Ricky! Can we have an autograph!?"

"Come on, you need to get out of here." David placed his hand on my back as we raced to the plane. In those days, you were able to come onto to the plane without a ticket to settle your loved ones in.

David came on the plane with me to make sure I safely made it onto the aircraft. After putting my luggage away, David sat next to me on the plane before they asked excess people to leave.

"What's it like?" I asked him quietly. David's eyes looked up at me, his eyebrows were furrowed.

"What?" He asked. He was older than Ricky, but hadn't had the worldly experiences as his little brother. He was much more reserved and shy towards people.

"Ricky is such a big star." I shrugged. "Yes, you are as well, but Ricky has become... something else."

"Sometimes it can be annoying seeing your little brother have more money in your pocket than you do." David looked down at his hands. "But I'm going to find my place."

"And what would you consider your place?" I asked him.

"Well, I don't have the drop dead looks as Ricky." He shrugged. "And my voice has too much base to break teenage hearts."

I laughed at his joke.

"Sometimes I wish I had all of that, but then I really think about it and realize I'd never want that attention." David exclaimed. "Never being able to walk around too long before someone annoys you."

"I hope you know this story that man made up... it's all false." I lied. David gave me a certain look. "...the part between Ricky and I that is."

David looked at the seat in front of him and thought for a moment. Then he changed the subject.

"I hope you find what you need in Memphis." David rubbed his hands together. "I'll be looking into how I can get involved in film production and directing."

"That's amazing, David!" I encouraged, rubbing his back. "I know you'll be amazing."

David's shoulder blades tensed at my touch, he looked to me. In a desperate attempt to not ruin our friendship, I quickly removed my hand from his back. The damage was already done, took my white-crochet-gloved hand into his, then rubbed his thumb over it.

"If you ever find that what you're looking for isn't in Memphis..." David's thumb gently swiped along my hand. "Then maybe try the underdog back in California"

I wanted to shout and tell him I'd been with his brother, but I knew that would only create drama. Before I could think of how to a flight attendant stepped next to our seats. Crouching down, she wore a large smile on her face before opening her mouth to speak.

"Alright." David smiled then stood up, getting out of the space. He looked back to me, gave me a wink, then exited the plane along with everyone else.

I sat back in my seat, I couldn't wrap my mind around all that happened. After I got over the fact that David hit on me, I began wondering exactly who would betray me by breaking this story.

I knew Martha wouldn't ever do that to me. We had been friends for too long. I racked my mind about who it could be.

Did I speak about it in public? Maybe it was a telephone operator listening in... Then it hit me.

Pamela.

Pam was the one who betrayed me.