Chapter 4

I smoothed the tight fabric of my dress to my body. Then, I made sure my curls were perfectly in place. My heels padded against the carpeted floor of the room as I headed towards the door. As my hand touched the door knob, I sucked in a deep breath. With an exhale, I opened the door.

Ricky was in the room across the hall sitting on the front of his bed. He was bored as he sat there, legs spread wide open and leisurely. He was hunched over with his elbows resting on his thighs as he waited. But when he heard the opening of my door, his blue eyes shot up at me.

He quickly stood up, then slyly placed his hand in his pocket. His jaw clenched as his eyes skimmed down the bright red wiggle dress I squeezed my curves into.

"Ehm. Ehm." He cleared his throat.

"Are you sure you don't want a coat with that?" Were his first words. I disappearing behind my room door once again. When I emerged, I was in an auburn coat that matched the cherry red of my dress.

As I stood in the hall shutting my door, Ricky stood dangerously close to me. His nostrils flared for a second, then he sniffed. I looked up at him. "May I help you?"

"You're wearing perfume." He observed, his hand hovering over my spaghetti strap as if he wanted to touch me. I lifted my head up high with a warm, red lipstick grin. Ricky awkwardly nodded. "I see."

He placed his hand on the small of my back, then guided me down the hall. Walking down the steps, we both went inside of the library where Ozzie and Harriet both sat down together. Harriet was crocheting while Ozzie read the paper. Ozzie's head popped up as he noticed us at the door.

"Well aren't you two well put together?" Ozzie smiled as he looked at us.

Harriet looked to us and smiled. "Beautiful." Then, her eyes looked at my bare legs that showed under my trench coat. "Well, Lauren, what dress did you decided to wear tonight?"

"A fantastic one, Mom." Ricky rolled his eyes, not willing to stick around to discuss whether or not my clothing was appropriate. "Can we head out now?"

Ozzie was giving us a certain smirk as he looked at Ricky and I standing there. He held his reading glasses in his hand. "Go on, have a grand old time."

"Ozzie, you're a dinosaur." Harriet teased as she looked down at her crocheting.

"What? Kids still say that today!" Ozzie looked to his wife. Ricky grabbed my hand and guided me into the foyer while Ozzie and Harriet were busy discussing modern lingo. Then, both Ricky and I stepped outside.

I began walking to the car but Ricky placed his hand on my waist, stopping me from walking further. "Lauren, before we go out there I just want to make sure we're on the same page."

"And what page is that?" I asked with a risen brow.

"I was forced to bring you tonight. If it wasn't for me, you wouldn't be going at all." Ricky shrugged as he stuffed his hands into his pockets.

"No, I'm pretty sure if it wasn't for me Ozzie wouldn't let you go out." I crossed my arms.

"The only reason he made this arrangement is because he felt sorry for you." Ricky snapped. "He feels like you need to go out. You have no social life."

"Or it could be the fact that you are a gentleman to everyone but me." I crossed my arms with a pout. Ricky huffed, then walked down the steps and onto the pathway.

"Come on, let's go." Ricky called out to me as he walked toward his car. He stood in front of his car door and pressed the key into the lock while I walked over to him.