Chapter 18

I wasn't smart about life at all. The year was now 1960, I was 21 and finally able to vote. Barbie & Etch-a-Sketch hit the shelves, the Russians beat us to the moon, Dr. King and Malcolm X were leading the Civil Rights movement and John F. Kennedy became the sexiest President known to man.

The world was changing rapidly and I was trying to keep up with it. My heart was still set on Elvis, who I wrote constantly back in Germany. It had now been three whole years since he went away. Me and all the millions of other girls waited for his return home.

Ricky reluctantly left me to go on that tour and saw many things. In the photos of the tour, from what I saw, a whole new Ricky Nelson was in development. His fan club now had over 9,000 factions all over the country. The boy I thought wouldn't do much did a lot.

In that blip of time, I hate to admit it, but he was even bigger than Elvis

Elvis going to the army showed exactly how short the average American's attention span was. The girls who insisted to stay loyal to Elvis were now tuning in to Ozzie & Harriet every episode and playing all of Ricky's records.

Ricky had a lot of new experiences on the road

Ricky had a lot of new experiences on the road. I knew the young virgin boy who I know was now far gone. He had officially lived the life of a rockstar, it was obvious.

And so, by the time Ricky returned home, I didn't know exactly what to expect from him. The boy I hadn't taken seriously was now a force not to be reckoned with.

I stood there on the porch, standing between Harriet and David. There, in my spaghetti strap sheath dress. The color was brown and complimented my skin that glowed in the sun. My stilettos were white to add a pop of color. A small broach with a beige ribbon wrapped into a bow was clipped onto the center of my neckline, bringing attention to my cleavage.

A black limousine pulled up into the driveway that was to the right. The window was down and I could see Ricky inside.

 The window was down and I could see Ricky inside

"Oh, I can't wait." Mrs. Nelson smiled. "I need to see my boy!"

She walked down the steps and scurried in her scalloped high heels toward the car. Opening the door. In the corner of my eye, I could see David looking me up and down and taking in my wiggle dress. My feelings for Ricky's brother had already dissolved, as well as my deep feelings for Ricky.

Still, I got myself dolled up for Ricky's arrival. I wondered if he would still have the few qualities I admired in him. Standing out of the car, Harriet wrapped her arms around Ricky.

Ozzie emerged from the car after a few moments. "Well, say hello to your mother!"

"I'm sorry, mom, I'm so tired. I guess I have jet lag." He apologized as his mother took him in.

"Why have you grown? Oh, my boy, you look even more like a man than when I last saw you." Harriet placed her hand over her mouth. "What were you doing on tour that caused you to age like that?"

"Trust me, he did a lot. I had to keep this boy in line." Ozzie joked. I felt a pang in my stomach from that comment.

"He couldn't keep me in line." Ricky smiled a grin, one that was almost arrogant. That made my stomach do a flip.

"Oh... stop it." Harriet slapped her son's arm as she smiled. Then, she locked arms with him as they walked to the house. I lifted my head high while briefly fixing my curls. Somehow, I was looking forward to when Ricky would set eyes on me.

"Doofus." Ricky grinned at his brother who stood next to me.

"Dumbhead." David joked back as he playfully punched Ricky in the stomach. David was older and built like a football player. It surely was a contrast to Ricky's slender body.

Well not as slender now. I could see that Ricky's shoulders filled out and his face was more mature. He was now 20 years old and looking better than ever.

The only problem was that he wasn't noticing me

The only problem was that he wasn't noticing me. There I stood, all made up and looking amazing, yet he still stood right next to me and spoke to my brother.

"I'll go inside and prepare all this food I've made for you!" Harriet smiled as she walked past us into the house. Ozzie followed behind her.

"You're a new man, aren't you?" David grinned. "I read all those letters. Those girls in your fan club really had it ready for you, huh?"

"All across the country." Ricky chuckled as he pushed aside his blazer jacket and put his hand in his pocket. "It was definitely an experience."

"Good job, man." David patted his brother's shoulder as they both chuckled over information that was between the two of them.

After standing there for so long, I decided to take matters into my own hands.

"Em, em." I cleared my throat. Both boys looked to me, then David placed his hand on Ricky's shoulder. With a nod, he turned around and went into the house. I looked in shock as my eyes followed David into the house. "Well what would make him do that?"

"Do what?" Ricky asked with furrowed eyebrows. I knew the game he was playing, so I decided to play along. I dropped the subject.

"Well, aren't you going to greet me?" I shifted my weight to pop out my hip and placed my hand on it. Ricky stood there with one hand in his pocket, he looked me in the eye then his eyes scaled down my body.

"Aren't you going to greet me?" Ricky asked as he didn't move closer. So this is what we're doing. My chest rose as I took in a deep breath, then exhaled. Ricky bit his lip as he stared at my neckline. I took the initiative to walk a few steps toward him until I stood there.

My eyes peered up at him, he looked down at me with parted lips. Then, I reached out my arms to invite him into a hug. He grinned, pulling into the hug.

At first it was a great hug, firm and with meaning. Then, it only got tighter, Ricky pressing my upper back to squeeze me against him. Next thing I knew, his hand was slowly swiping down my back toward my ass.

"Ricky!" I pulled back, slapping his arm with my white glove covered hand.

"You know, that wasn't as good as I remember it." Ricky said with risen brows, then walked off into the house.

There I stood on that porch looking at the open door. I didn't know what happened on that tour, but whatever it was changed Ricky Nelson  forever.