Chapter 14

"Oh, you think you're slick, don't you?" Elvis laughed as he looked to me. "Well watch this!"

He through the small ball towards the wall and it bounced back. I swiftly ran to where the ball hit the wall and began reaching my racket out to it.

I made a perfect hit, the ball bounced on the wall with force.

Elvis swung his racket, the ball bounced back over to the racquetball wall. While playing, I found it hard to fully enjoy the game. In the back of my mind were memories of me with Ricky. That fifth wall was broken between he and I's relationship, it definitely affected the way I viewed Elvis.

Elvis still hadn't slept with me, but still, he was more experienced than Ricky. Although our relationship began with sex and was filled with sex, Elvis and I had become significantly closer during this vacation.

However, my visit was coming to an end. Ozzie and Harriet sent postage wondering how things were going. Ricky also had to return soon because he was a star on the family television show. Although I connected with Ricky, the thought of leaving Elvis behind was killing me.

"Did I tell you the news?" I asked, hitting the ball with my racket.

The ball hit the wall.

"What news?" Elvis asked, swinging his racket

The ball bounced onto the wall and then toward me.

"Well... I probably should be headed home soon." I answered, bending my knees while hitting the ball.

A noise echoed in the racquetball court as it hit the wall.

"Why should you be heading home? You're a woman, you don't need to answer to anybody." Elvis hit the ball.

It hit the wall once again.

"Well, it's interesting, because I'm staying with the Nelsons—" I hit the ball towards the wall.

The ball bounced then began heading to him.

"Wait. You're actually staying with the Nelsons? I thought they were just supporting you." Elvis hit the ball.

He smirked as it hit the wall.

"I've always stayed with them and they're nice people..." I hit the ball and it made the wall. "I couldn't imagine staying with anyone else.

Elvis hit the ball towards the wall. "Why don't you just move in here?"

"You want me to move in? I thought you didn't want women in your house all hours of the day?" I snarled as I hit the ball. I made it once again.

"I could help you get on your feet." Elvis suggested, hitting the ball and having it hit the wall once again.

"That's an amazing offer..." The ball bounced off of my racket. "...but I think I like my living situation."

The game went on and all I could think about was the possibility of moving out of the Nelson house. That would separate me from Ricky, which was a chance I was not willing to take.

"See, the reason I was in LA when I met you was because I was filming a movie. It's set in New Orleans." Elvis and I took a few turns at bouncing the ball towards the wall.

"Oh?" I asked as I bounced it. "Well I'm sure it'll be a great picture.

"Yeah, but my hands will be tied since I'm drafted." Elvis nonchalantly mentioned as he stepped toward me. My whole body tensed, but I still swung my racket. The ball went flying towards Elvis instead of the wall, hitting him in his left eye.

"Ahhh!" Elvis cried out as he hunched over and held his face.

"Oh gosh, no, I'm so sorry!" I walked toward him as I tried to get a glimpse at his face. He kept moving his face away. "I didn't mean to do that, I'm so sorry."

"Damn it, I can feel it swelling." Elvis mumbled.

"Ice! We need ice!" I placed my hands on his chest as he looked toward the ceiling with a closed eye.

The house was silent inside as I placed the rubber ice pack onto his eye. He winced at the cold sensation, so I pulled my hand back for a moment. Then, I tried again, this time he exhaled.

"When you hold it there for a long time, it starts to get numb." He placed his hand over mine that was holding the pack to his face.

"Maybe that's just what you need." I pulled the ice back a little, then placed it back on his face. Elvis let out a laugh.

"What?" I asked with concern.

"You're the most attentive ice pack pusher I know." Elvis joked and we both laughed. I pulled back the ice pack and looked at his eye.

"Ooh. That doesn't look too good." I observed the black and blue mark around his eye.

"Great." He sat back and rested his arms on the back of the couch. "I'm lucky I'm on vacation and not doing a show tonight."

"Maybe you'd start a trend." I joked as I placed the ice pack on his eye. He held my wrist, then looked at it as he held it in front of my face.

"Such a small wrist." He noted, then closed his his good eye and his other eye as much as he could to leave a kiss on my wrist. I pouted at the shape his face was in.

"Can we please discuss what we were speaking about before I almost left you with one eye?" I smiled a nervous smile and he exhaled as he knocked his head back a bit.

"It's no big deal, the studio is trying to get Uncle Sam to let me go on this one and take back the draft." Elvis explained. I wondered how he could be so calm when he'd be forced to live in service soon.

"And how would they do that?" I asked in surprise.

"Apparently Paramount Pictures is more powerful than the government." Elvis stuck his tongue out. "They already gave me leeway to finish this movie I'm making since it is my job. I'm lucky there's not a war going on or anything major like that."

"Well that makes me feel a little better." I nodded. "You're practically going to be a sitting duck."

"Yeah, a sitting duck after basic training." Elvis had his hands in front of him as he pondered exactly what he was getting into. There was a smile on his face but I knew inside he was concerned.

For the world, he presented himself as a strong wise guy who didn't give a damn about the world

For the world, he presented himself as a strong wise guy who didn't give a damn about the world. But I knew another Elvis, a softer one. One that had feelings that weren't tied into his hit records or thrown into one of his movies. The real Elvis was totally capable of being afraid and I knew I'd stand by him.