🌙 Chapter 27 🌙

A/N: ^ I LIVE for this meme! Found it in math class and now I can't stop laughing.

I'm so sorry if last chapter was confusing. This should clear things up a bit.

If I was to give an estimate on how long this story is going to be, I would say we're about three quarters of the way through.

"She's made her decision." Winter growled, rubbing his forehead. Icicle had struck him pretty hard.

As for Moon, she might obtain a few bruises but no damage none the less.

"I knew something was up with her!" Stardust exclaimed. "We shouldn't have been so stupid."

Icicle had gotten away. She had gone right back to the place she thought she belonged in.

"I'm a monster. There's no going back." She had said, after knocking her brother out cold.

Moon understood how she must be feeling; confused, hurt, conflicted, angry. Putting new thoughts, feelings and an entirely different personality into somebody else's brain really takes a toll on their memories. Moon knew that all too well.

But she couldn't even begin to wonder how Winter must be feeling. The one thing that has kept him going on this mission - the thought of saving his sister - had just sunk right from under their grasp. They would have to save Icicle another way.

"What are we gonna do now?" Daze asked.

Moon's head spun. The NightWings' confused and angry thoughts swam through her head. They were so loud Moon couldn't be bothered to take a breath and listen.

Winter tore his eyes from the ground. "We have to stop and think for a second. What Icicle said about the Master not needing us anymore, it doesn't make any sense."

"And why did he let me go so easily? It's like he wasn't even trying to hurt me even more. He let me go without proper reason. Why?" Moon explained, shaking out her trembling talons.

She had a terrible feeling that they shouldn't just be sitting there. Moon felt like there was something that needed to be done. She couldn't put a claw on this strange feeling.

The Master was playing a cruel game here, and Moon and the others were just pawns in his endless battle of tricks. It's like a massive cycle of mistakes and consequences. Every time we think we've found a solution, something else goes horribly wrong. And when we realise the consequence it's much too late...

"Maybe I'm not the one the Master needs for his plan." Moon realised. Flashes of her visions came rushing forth before her eyes, only reinforcing her inevitable theory. "Taking control of me was only a distraction..."

"So he could get to the dragon he wanted all along." Winter finished, his wide eyes meeting Moon's.

That was all the confirmation Moon needed. She leapt to her feet and took off, the others following close behind.

She could barely focus on where she was going. Scenes of the prophecy threatened to disrupt her I-won't-let-him-win attitude.

Moon could hear Winter's heavy breathing behind her as she came to a sudden stop outside of their old prison.

"Moon! You're alright!" Kinkajou cried, leaping into her friend's arms. She smiled at Winter. "I knew you'd save her!"

Winter frowned. "Where are your chains? Did the Master let you free?"

Kinkajou's delighted expression fell. She glanced back at Qibli who was pacing the cave looking distressed. The SandWing was rubbing his talons together where the cuffs had left marks.

"It wasn't our fault!" Kinkajou cried, her scales rippling with shades of stormy blue. "I tried to talk him out of it, but he just wouldn't listen. He said he was sick of the fighting. He thinks he's doing the right thing Moon!"

"What?"

"He said he wanted to use his powers for a good cause. All this talk about stopping wars... it didn't make any sense to us. I think the Master is controlling him too Moon!" Kinkajou explained, distraught with frustration and sadness. "Turtle's gone. He's gone to the Master's side."

Part of Moon knew this was going to happen. She had seen it in her vision: a young green SeaWing reminiscent of Turtle, bowing down at the Master's feet, causing destruction not peace.

Tears slid down Kinkajou's cheeks. Qibli dropped to his knees. Stardust, Daze and Glaze took sharp breaths to contain their rage. Winter rested his talon on Moon's shoulder, hopelessness filling his aurora eyes.

No. No! I'm not ready to give up.