❄️ Chapter 24 ❄️

So the Master had gotten what he wanted after all... Moon's mind.

Winter stood there dumbfounded as she strode past him and left the cave.

It should've been clear to anyone that Moon was not herself at the moment. Why didn't Qibli, Kinkajou and Turtle believe Winter? Do they really hate me that much?

"I'll go after her," Kinkajou said. She went to stand up but forgot that she was still chained to Turtle and Qibli. Anger bubbled across her scales.

"No. I have to fix this." Winter muttered. It wasn't just because he was the only free dragon or that he had a fair idea of where Moon would go. Winter knew that somehow the Master had used the IceWing-NightWing rivalry to mess with Moon's head. Part of that was his fault for being so awful to her. The real Moon needed him to save her. "I-I'll get our Moon back." And maybe my sister too.

Qibli nodded, avoiding Winter's eyes. He would have to worry about that issue later. Meanwhile, Winter caught Turtle staring at him with something unfamiliar written all over his face. Worry? Hurt? Anger?

"Are you okay?" Kinkajou asked the SeaWing, resting her talon lightly on his. Turtle only smiled half-heartedly and looked expectantly at his IceWing friend again.

Winter took this as his cue to leave.

Heading back through the tunnels felt like deja-vu all over again. Moon's loud footsteps echoed down the halls from somewhere up ahead. He was also pretty sure he could hear her grumbling. Winter tried to stay close enough and in earshot, all the while thinking that he did not like this new Moon.

He passed a few gawking NightWings who he guessed were probably wondering why The Master, let one of the dragons they were working to eliminate, free. Which got him thinking, one of them could so easily lock me up again or take me to their boss. Just as easily as the Master could do it himself. However he let an IceWing prisoner roam around his base, trying to rescue his secret weapon against the IceWings; Moon.

This completely goes against all logic.

So, why?

Winter had to keep pushing forward and hope he would be able to free Moon, and stop a prophecy, and explain to his mother why he's been skipping school.

Winter wasn't even sure his parents would care if he saved the entire IceWing tribe from a mind-reading animus NightWing and his army. Did Winter mention they were planning to wipe out his tribe?

Winter had gotten just close enough now to see Moon enter a cave. He hadn't been down this way yet. A pack of angry NightWings were standing nearby, gossiping about their plan for the IceWings. The meeting had probably finished up a while ago and the army had gone back to their planning and chores. Winter would stop and eavesdrop however he knew Moon needed him.

—————————

Moon's POV

Icicle wasn't a good listener.

Moon was trying to consult her plan with her best friend but Icicle was clearly busy and not in the mood.

Standing in Icicle's cave, Moon felt a little bit intimidated. She had the eerie feeling she should not be here talking to an IceWing. But the Master trusts her. Yes, the Master had given Icicle her very own cave and Moon had a small suspicion why. It was filled with Icicle's royal jewels and had one bed in the very corner that she had covered in her frostbreath. The IceWing sat on her frozen bed, sharpening a knife that was still splattered with fresh SkyWing blood,

"Go away NightWing!" Icicle cried. Moon didn't remember her voice sounding that deep and strange. Usually Moon would be afraid to talk back to a dragon with a knife but something inside of her urged her to talk on. It was like there was this invisible force controlling her actions lately.

But she brushed it off, "Icicle please. I just want to talk."

"I don't even want to be here!!!" The princess shouted. Her voice had changed again. That time, it had sounded almost normal. Until she coughed and spoke weirdly again. "I mean, I want to go out and fight some stupid IceWings already!" Voice cracks?

"I'm not sure of this plan." Moon said.

Icicle raised her eyebrows. "You aren't? Why not?" She yelled, in that same warped tone. "I thought you wanted the IceWings to burn!"

Three Moons, get your head in the game Moonwatcher.

That snapped Moon to attention. "Yeah." She realised. "They deserve to burn! The IceWings are manipulative, lying scoundrels! Our plan is perfect."

You mean, my plan.

Yes, Moon replied.

"Now go away!" Icicle snapped.

"Wait, but-"

Moon froze.

Words circled her mind. Cryptic voices echoed around her head, but not the Master's.

She stumbled out of Icicle's cave, clutching her head. She shut the door quickly and could barely hear it slam over the sound of screaming dragons and crackling fire. Why did this feel so familiar?

Shouts and threats wavered in the distant air. Moon caught glimpses of black dragons burning and freezing limbs snapping apart. IceWing bodies were sprawled across the ground.

A familiar face - Turtle - stood in the midst of it all, screaming and yelling up at the sky. This situation seemed so familiar. Moons, right now she just wished she could remember.

The words in Moon's started to grow clearer, until before she knew it, they were spilling out of her own mouth.

"Beware your own minds,

The cost will take dragon kind,

Cold talons encircled her wrists. Moon closed her eyes, falling into unconsciousness.

Voices in the air won't lie,

For they have caused some to die,

Don't trust those closest to you,

The talons dragged her away. The dragon's grip was soft and their scales quivered slightly. Moon trembled all over. Moon! Snap out of it! The Master yelled in her head, exasperated, his voice no louder than a whisper.

Rely on those you don't speak to,

Or night and ice will crumble,

And the past will come back to haunt you."

A/N: That chapter was boring. I'm sorry.

Buuuttttt..... I PROMISE YOU WILL ALL LOVE WHAT'S COMING NEXT. EEEEEEEKKKKK!

If this chapter can get over ten votes, I will post the next part in two or three days time!

If not, you'll have to wait til next week!