🌙 Chapter 6 🌙

Moon saw everything. Carnelian wouldn't share her secrets with the others but her mind shared everything with Moon. She knew it was wrong to indulge into the SkyWing's past but she couldn't help it. She was pulled in like a moth to a lamp.

—————————

Carnelian and a squadron of SkyWings were gathered under a thicket of trees in what Moon believed to be the Sky Kingdom. Dark blue and red was splattered all over their ruby, copper and amber coloured scales. They were in a war zone. SkyWings versus IceWings.

Two dragons huddled beside Carnelian. Her parents. They looked afraid. All the SkyWings looked afraid.

Suddenly a roar sounded from nearby and half of the group took to the skies leaving Carnelian's family and a few others behind. Why don't they run? Moon wondered until she noticed that Carnelian's father had lost a leg. Escape wasn't an option.

"Run!" He screamed at Carnelian and her mother. Her mother wouldn't leave him.

"Go," she pleaded to her daughter.

A large figure rose up from the shadows like a glittering ice fountain. Two IceWings stood beside their queen. Moon realised one of them was Icicle. Queen Glacier's sharp icicle-like talons struck the mother and father to the ground in a pool of messy SkyWing blood.

Tears streamed from Carnelian's yellow eyes as she fled from the raging IceWing Queen.

—————————

"Where are we going Moon?" Winter asked.

Moon closed her eyes and listened carefully for Carnelian's thoughts until she finally heard her.

Whatever it takes to end this once and for all, she was thinking. They need to find her quickly.

"Icicle's sleeping cave?" Winter noticed as they approached. "Why?"

Moon could hear her clearly now. Carnelian was in Icicle and Sora's room, plotting something.

"Moon?" Qibli said, concerned. She ignored them and kept listening to the SkyWing's thoughts.

Qibli stepped forward and cautiously opened the door to the cave. It creaked and squeaked as it swung open to reveal their missing friend. Carnelian loomed over Icicle's bed holding a large, brown chest.

Winter obviously recognised it immediately. "Put that down you monster!" He shouted, "What do you think you're doing with my sister's jewels."

Carnelian dropped the chest in surprise, scattering diamond necklaces and crystal charms across the floor.

Moon understood now. Carnelian wanted revenge for what happened to her parents. She saw Icicle as a culprit. While Queen Glacier attacked them, Icicle stood by and watched with a smile upon her face.

"Monster?" Carnelian laughed at Winter, "the only monster here is YOU!" He bared his teeth at her and stood in a defensive position. Carnelian pounced at him but Moon stood in her way so she couldn't hurt Winter.

"This isn't necessary Carnelian! It's not his fault!" Moon said firmly making Carnelian flinch.

"You're right," she said, "it's her fault!" She pointed past Moon at another dragon behind Winter and Qibli.

"What's going on here?" Icicle's sharp, cold voice came from the hallway. The IceWing Princess's gaze was pointed at Moon like a lightning bolt straight to her brain.