"Hmm?"

"Like, all this... weirdness. You've seen stuff like this before haven't you?" Jin tried to lean around and get a clearer view of the front dashboard and Dean, without much success.

The rugged Dean didn't answer right away.

The shuttle's hum whirred around in Jin's brain like a mosquito.

Then, "I lost someone. She was my partner." Dean shifted uncomfortably in his seat. He didn't like talking about this, but something about Kim Seokjin and this situation they found themselves in felt too familiar not to. "In every sense. She and I raided plenty of tombs before we ran into any spirits. Good loot in some of them, man! But then something happened when we were tryna mine a proper tomb, miles deep with Mysterium... I got so focused on how much money we were gonna make, I didn't think about the risk."

The two sat in silence a bit, both feeling sober.

"What was her name?" Jin asked.

"Heize."

It took all of Jin's self-control not to point out how her name sounded kind of like 'sneeze.' Maybe another time, he thought.

Dean finally added, "Yeah, I didn't take spirit shit seriously back in the day. But I'll never make that mistake again."

Jin quickly changed the subject, "So just how far behind Lilith and the creep are we now?"

"Far enough to still be worried. And... it looks like they've just... landed in ERA!"

"WHAT THE --!?" Jin started clawing at the backs of Dean's shoulders like a cat clutching the armrests of a couch.

"You can say that again."

The glistening skyscrapers bursting through the clouds in Era's landscape had thinned out. Like trees being chopped for the kindling, Noon Mool hadn't been the only Fortress brought crumbling down in the path of Petra's peons, even with her so far removed from the scene.

One particular pillar of strength stood just a hair taller than all the rest. The spine of its crown had been modified and lengthened as if it were a radio tower trying to stretch its signal just a little further.

That open upper platform's surface was etched in its base with ancient rings, patterns and programming all in one that were prepared to cause injury to magical being invaders: programming that had been modified to accommodate the legions of Gwangju Ai Fortress leaders of Era that came and went.