Trying to Cheat the Dealer

Chimin had been the first inside the great Library of Mirth. It was a cavern of dust and shadows, with rows upon rows of shelves and chairs and tables that USED to be breathtaking in a good way.

 It was a cavern of dust and shadows, with rows upon rows of shelves and chairs and tables that USED to be breathtaking in a good way

But now, everything looked petrified--as if it had been turned to stone and covered in a layer of dust.

But Chimin wasn't going to tell the others that. Not before their descent into the mountain.

Namjoon came second, struggling a touch with the rope at the end--but Chimin breathed a sigh of relief when his old friend managed to make his way onto his feet.

Then last came Seokjin--grumbling in their earpieces all the while, until he planted his feet firmly between Joon and Chim in the dusty darkness. Kim Seokjin could only see by the dim light of his mask for a moment, as he looked around in the cave, but it didn't take the doctor long to assess what had been burning in the back of Namjoon's suspicious mind the whole time they'd been helping Jin with his descent.

Jin exclaimed, "This place is utterly worthless."

He made no qualms about it. Jin strode right up to one of the bookshelves and tried to pluck at the corner of a petrified volume. The edge merely crumbled into dust between his fingertips.

"Worthless. We've come on a completely pointless wild goose chase."

Jin lifted a suspicious finger and walked straight into Park Chimin, that fingertip digging into the chest of his deviously smirking blonde comrade.

"What is the meaning of this, Chimin?!"

Jin's threatening voice echoed like an eruption in the heart of the mountain, quaking all around them. Joon could feel Jin's anger ripple through his skin.

Chimin didn't offer an answer. He merely threw back his head and let loose a quiet, chilling laugh.

Jin's hands found their way around Chimin's collar, and the good doctor pulled Chimin's smiling face roughly towards his own as he growled in a low voice, all of his typical good humor lost: "I'm not going to ask you again. What the hell are we doing here, Park Chimin, if there isn't even a fucking library anymore?"