Angel of Death

Chimin felt a tap on his shoulder. He plucked an earbud out of one of his ears and turned in his chair to see Lilith leaning over his pilot's chair.

"You should get some rest, Lil."

"The pods are taken."

"Can't you just share with Jin?"

Lilith laughed. "Jin needs a space the size of TWO sleep pods, for all of his squirming when he sleeps. In one? I'd suffocate in minutes."

Chimin looked apologetically up at Lilith. "There are worse quirks, I guess."

She smiled warmly. "Oh, I know."

Chimin plucked the second earbud from his other ear, one hand remaining on the steering wheel. "Did you need something? Or just wanted some company? You know I love a good heart-to-heart when making long flights."

Lilith plopped into the copilot's chair. She folded her arms and looked doubtfully in Chimin's direction. "You mean, you love listening to other people talk. YOU never do much of the talking."

He smiled warmly and shrugged, but Lilith could see the flicker in Chimin's eyes. He was avoiding her jab the same way he always avoided answering questions directly, she noted.

"You know what I liked about you when I first met you, Chimin?"

"My devilish charm." His voice danced with delight.

"How you were a contradiction."

Chimin sugary smile didn't waver.

"I don't know how you and Joon were the only Noon Moolites I ever seemed to cross paths with back then, but there it was. I was Jackson's escort, and on your arm there was Dai Yu. On Joon's arm, Kiara."

"Jackson was the king of making fun of Joon." Chimin noted, true warmth in his voice as he said it. "He was the only person who ever seemed to get away with it. He was so genuine. And Joon always got so annoyed. He'd say, 'Oh great, J's gonna be at this party. I'd better have a drink before I talk to him or I'm gonna lose my mind.'"

"Jackson made Joon lighten up." Lilith said defensively. "Jackson was that way with everyone. He was an idiot in a lot of ways, but he was at least a fun-loving idiot."

Chimin's voice darkened. "But an idiot just the same."

"But not you, Chim. I mean I know Joon's a brain in his own right. He's cunning as hell. But so are you. I think the contradiction of your generous warmth...and your subtle cunning. That was what made me want to be your friend. You were...how do I put it?"

Chimin offered, "I defied the stereotype that to be generously kind one must also be exponentially stupid."

"Exactly. And Joon was too stiff and boring. The only time he was fun to be around was when Jackson was making him uncomfortable." Lilith laughed at a fond memory of just such a scene. Chimin glanced over to see that smile flash across her face, his eyes piercing.

Lilith's voice softened. "But you're different now from when I first met you, Chim. You know that don't you?"

"You are too."

"No. Not like you." She turned in her seat, her arms still folded, and she leaned her left cheek against the headrest. Lilith sighed and she felt the rush of air leaving her body like a weight lifting from her gut.

"After the raid... after you saved me from my workshop, when Noon Mool had us under assault and the whole damn fortress was crumbling down... Snuck me out right under Kim Namjoon's nose. Saved my damn life. After that day you changed, Chim."