Chapter 19: Second Chance

D A R I U S
Fall semester
2007

I just joined in Phi Kappa Theta. One of the coolest frat in campus. At first, I didn't want to join, but Alex told me I should. Since, he is too a member of PKT. Alex already in his senior year by the time I got in MIT. He said I need brothers to guide me throughout my college life.

Becoming a frat boy has many of its perks. One of them is a great party. And our frat are widely known to have a great social life a.k.a party.

It's one of the welcoming party at the beginning of semester. The guests are not only from our campus but other campuses around Boston and Cambridge. I was having a blast and playing beer pong. When I'm about to throw the ball, I see her drinking a cup of beer and laughing while talking with I assume her friends. She's so cute, her long hair is tied up and the bangs just fall in her forehead. I lose on purpose so I can get out of the game and approach her.

"Hi." I smile to her.

"Bye Jenna." Her friends take a cue and leave us while giggling.

"So, Jenna, huh? Great name."

"You like that? You should hear my phone number." She puts down her beer.

"Friends season 7. Wow, I like you already." I can't stop myself from smiling. God, she's pretty and funny. "I'm Darius." I extend my hand.

"Like Darius the Great? Wow, your Dad's cool. I'm Jenna which you already know." She accepts my hand and shakes it. I feel an electricity just jolting in my chest.

"Yeah, Darius the Great. My brother's name is Alexander."

She laughs. "Alexander the Great. Your Dad is cool and nerd." She tiptoes and whispers to my ear. "Nice to meet you, Darius." She emphasizes my name. I like it when she says my name.

She smiles and turns around and walk away from me. I just stand in silence like an idiot. Then realize, that the night isn't done yet. Not before I get her number. I run passing couples of guest and finally reach her right hand.

"You forgot to tell me your number."

She smiles and turns around. I can see her face more clearly. Her blue eyes are so dazzling that it makes my knees weak just by looking at it.

She takes out a red lipstick from a back pocket of her jeans. She lifts my t-shirt and writes her number. I feel really really turn on right now. But, she's not a one-night stand material. She's worth much more.

"You know it's hard for me to read your number if you wrote it on my chest." She laughs when I say that.

"The number is for you. The pleasure of writing it in your chest is totally mine." She finishes write her number and smooches my chest. I can see her lips print in my chest. "Call me." She smiles and walks away. Now, I'm officially aroused.

---

D A R I U S
Present

We all sit in silence on our way to Jenna and Jack's home. I can't see her face. She doesn't turn her head to take a peek at me like she usually did. But, I know exactly why she did that. I just laugh quietly while look at her right now and remembering the first time we met. She has changed so much.

Jenna immediately opens the car door and run inside the house when we arrived.

Jack chuckles. "You must have got her smitten. Good for her." Jack pats my back when we walk toward the house.

I see my Mom is talking with Anna in the living room. "What are you doing in here?" I ask her.

"I was looking for Jenna. Try to catch up with my soon-to-be daughter. But, Anna said she went out with you and Jack. So, I'm waiting for both of you." Mom smiles to Anna.

"She just ran to her room. Why don't you check on her?" Anna encourages me.

"Jenna's fine. She's just smitten." Jack says as he walks upstairs.

I follow Jack to upstairs and knocks her door. She said 'come in'. I open the door.

"Hi." I smile to her and close the door.

"What are you doing in here?"

"Anna told me to check on you." She raises her eyebrow. "She wants, I want to make sure you're okay. You ran. Again." I sit on her bed.

"Oh. I'm okay. Just-"

"Come here." I pat her bed signaling her to sit next to me. She nods and sits next to me. "Why did you run?" I tuck in her loose hair to back of her ear.

"No reason. Just feeling a little embarrassed."

"Why ?"

"Because of what you said earlier. That you..." Cat got her tongue.

I peck her lips. "That I'm still in love with you after all these years." She nods. Blush appears at her cheeks. "Why are you embarrassed? I'm telling the truth."

"You can't possibly love two women at the same time. That's just impossible, Darius." She tears her gaze from my eyes and staring at the window. "It hurt when Mike cheated on me and I don't want you to cheat on your girlfriend. I was serious when I said I like you, but I don't want to ruin your relationship. It's not fair for her."

"I know." I sigh.

"I don't want to be that girl, but you have to choose. Either we are in this together officially or we are just a business partner. I don't want in between."

What she said makes sense. Makes a lot of sense. It's just my brain is not working when it comes to Jenna. I nod to give her assurance that I heard every single of her words. I pull out my wallet and open it and take out a photo from a well-hidden slot. "Here." I give it to Jenna.

"It's me and you."

"Yeah. It was taken on our 3rd date. Our campus' basketball teams against each other. I took you to the game because you specifically asked for an unusual date routine. And you took a selfie of us, you said the date was worth remembering despite Crimson got beaten by Engineers." Darius laughs. "And the irony is now you don't remember anything."

"I'm sorry." She gives me back the photo.

"Nothing to worry." I reach her hands. "Listen to me. I'm gonna sort all the things with Emma. I want to give this, us, a second chance." She nods and smiles. I kiss her temple and get up from the bed. When I was going to walk toward the door, she grabs my left arm.

"Why did we break up?"

I turn around. "We didn't. You left me."

"