Chapter 16: Emma Woods

I'm getting busier at work. I'm still working from Smith Co. but now I'm juggling between Smith and Dad's office building having meetings here and there. Overall, Smith Co.'s financial is healthy and there is no problem with the acquisition deal. Last week we had a board meeting talking about the company's structure in future once Smith Co. join Grey Consolidation officially.

Darius was missing though. Actually, he's been missing since our last lunch three weeks ago. He was rarely in his office. He was usually in the meeting room at 8th floor or at 7th floor talking with the legal and operational team. Alex told me he was busy preparing for New York project. I believed that, but somehow I felt that wasn't a coincidence that Darius chose to spend his time not in the same room as me.

Today my mood is under the weather. I was finding it hard to wake up from bed without any logical reason. Working for Dad and see Darius for this past weeks really helped me a lot with my anxiety and my mood. It's a great distraction for me. But somehow this day is hard. Like painfully hard and I don't know why.

So, I just play solitaire on my laptop. Don't bother to work the work.

"What happened to you?" A deep voice I know very well startles me.

I turn my head to see him leaning on the door frame. He looks handsome, but what's new because he looks handsome all the time. He wears a light blue shirt with mocha color jeans which looks absurd but he pulled it off effortlessly.

"What do you mean?" I ask lazily and turning my head back to the laptop, continue stacking the card on the screen.

"You're playing solitaire instead of working which I believe breaking your work ethics or something?"

"You mocking me?" My eyes stay on the screen and my fingers make the click on the mouse louder than necessary.

"I would never." He kisses my head on his way to the sofa. He sits and crosses his leg. "Bad day?" He asks softly.

"Kinda."

Darius gets up from his seat and walks outside room. I turn my head to peek and he's talking something with Ron, his assistant, I don't really hear what they're talking about. Then he steps inside and throw his body to lie on the sofa, his ridiculous feet hanging at the end of sofa.

He seems tired and judging by his messy handsome face and his eye bags; he didn't get enough sleep last night.

"Are you okay? Is there something wrong with the New York tender?"

"Yeah, there's a problem. I have to go to New York." Darius says with his eyes closed. Not that he wants to sleep but more like closing eyes to think.

"What's the problem? Wow. I haven't been to New York for 3 or 4 years I think." I try to remember my past memories in New York.

Ron knocks the door. He has McDonald's bag in his hand. Darius wakes up and takes the bag and puts them in coffee table in front of sofa.

"Come here." Darius calls me. I raise my eyebrows. "Come here. I don't bite." He opens the bag.

I walk toward him and sit next to him. There are McFlurry, fries, and BigMac package includes fries and diet coke. It's been a long time since I ate McDonald's. Darius gives me McFlurry and fries. Which is totally great, because I have this disgusting habit according to Jeremy which I dip the fries to McFlurry.

"How do you know I like this?" I eat my dipped fries, and it's delicious.

"Lucky guess." Darius smiles and eats his burger.

"Why I don't believe you?" I smile at him.

Darius just smiles and continue to eat his burger and fries. "Do you want some?" I offer him my dipped fries.