Chapter 17: The Great Gatsby

D A R I U S

I'm laying on my bed with my hands behind my head. It's Saturday. I take a glance at the wall to see the clock. It's 8:46 am, still early.

I'm still thinking about what happened yesterday. How impulsive I was to order the McFlurry and the fries to cheered her up. How stupid I was to slip the words that she used to force me dip my fries in her ice cream back then. And I remember if I refused, she would put the ice cream in her lips and then kissed me.

And the big disaster was at rooftop. How impulsive I was to said those things and kissed Jenna like that. How I couldn't resist hugging her so tight because I miss her so damn much. If only she knew how much I miss her after all these years. And how it gives me a heartache that she doesn't remember me.

I let a smile out from my face. She ran after I let go the long hug after we kissed. She just ran straight to the elevator and apparently left the office, leaving me without any words and leaving her bag in my office room.

But, my smile vanishes quickly when I realize I just cheated on Emma. Sure, I love Emma. But, it's Jenna we are talking about. I never get over her long wavy brown hair that always smell like chocolate which so intoxicating that it always successfully made me turn on when I'm with her. I guess she still uses the same shampoo and never change it. Her hair was longer back then with cute bangs. She used to tie up her hair into a messy bun and used a bandana. She was cute and beautiful and perfect.

I don't have any guts to call her not after she ran like a madwoman yesterday. She must be confused and felt guilty toward Emma. She always has a nice heart although I used to hear that she was a bitch queen back then. Maybe, I should call her. Or I can go to her house. Pretend to return her bag. Well, it's not pretending if I really have her bag.

Yes, I can do that. Smile appears again in my face.

I get up from bed and walk toward the bathroom. But, I stop at the bookshelf and pick up The Great Gatsby book. I open it and see Jenna's signature with love sign in the end of her signature. It was her favorite book, and she gave me after we spent our first night together. Ohhh, that magical night. A night after our 6th date, I walked her to her dorm room. I was gonna leave, but I turned and brave myself to pull her and kiss her. Whispering in her ears, asking her to be mine. She didn't say anything, just nod and smile and wrap her hand around my neck and kiss me. And one thing led to another. Happy doesn't even cover how I feel back then.

I turn to the last page and pull the photo that always in there since forever. It was me and Jenna on 2007 Halloween party. The memory from 10 years ago pops up in my head. I smile remembering how cute and amazing we were back then.

I put back the photo and the book back to the shelf. I let a heavy sigh out of my breath. My emotion is all over the place after I saw that photo. I just need a cold shower to rinse my emotions.

---

I'm already outside Jenna's home. But, I feel hesitant to ring the bell. But, I can do it. Yes, I can do it. I cheer myself up. I feel nervous though.

When I was about to press the bell, Jack opens the door. He looks good in his jeans and black tees. He raises his eyebrow when he sees me in front of the door.

"Hi." I greet him. "Is Jenna home ?"

He smiles. "Come in. Jenna's still in the shower." Jack widens the door so I can make my way inside the house.

"Tell Jenna I'll wait in the car. Just make yourself comfortable." Jack taps my left arm.

I walk upstairs and knock her door but there's no answer. Maybe she's still in the shower. I debate myself whether open the door and go inside or not. My conscience says no, because it will be inappropriate to see her in her towel. But, my other conscience says yes, because she will be in her towel. The dirty mind pops up out of nowhere. And I thank my mom for raising me to be a gentleman, I wait outside her room. I lean on the wall next to the door.

Not long after, the door's opened. Jenna comes out and a bit of jumpy when she sees me.

"You scared me." She puts her hand on her chest. I guess I really scare her.

"You left your bag yesterday." I give her the bag.

"Uhhh, thanks." She takes the bag and throw it into the room. I laugh a little seeing her throw her Hermès bag carelessly like that. 

"Jack said he'll wait in the car. Are you going somewhere ?"

"Uhhh, yeah. I was going to tag along Jack. He's meeting his lunch date."

"Can I come?" I grin.

"Uhhh-"

"JENNA. COME ON I'M GONNA BE LATE." Jack shouts from downstairs.

"Okay, Jack." She turns her head to me. "Why don't you ask Jack?"

Jenna runs downstairs. I laugh. She looks beautiful in her long sleeve printed dress. There's a little giraffe heads printed in her dress. I too run downstairs while still laughing.

Jenna's already in the car and sits next to Jack. I can see her pinching Jack and whispering. My best guess she is trying to tell Jack that I can't come with them. I chuckle.

"Hi, Jack." I lower my head to level Jack's head. "Can I come?"

Jack turns his head to Jenna then to mine. He smiles. "Sure, you can accompany Jenna while I'm on a date."

"Jack!" Jenna shouts and hits his left arms countless times. I just laugh.

Jack laughs too. Because let's face it, Jenna is small, petite. She hits like a cute hamster. "Hey. Hey. Hey." Jack push Jenna's hands. "Back off chocolate head. My car, my lunch, my rules." Jack turns the gear to D. "Come on in Darius."

I open the car door and enter his Range Rover. I can see Jenna frowns but I can't stop smiling. It's gonna be a great day.

 It's gonna be a great day