Chapter 10: The Ring

I liked you, Jenna. You just don't remember.

Darius' voice keep playing in my head. It's like an earworm but not with music. You just don't remember. He looked so fragile when he says that words. You just don't remember. It keeps playing in my head.

"Jenna?" Anna's voice scatters my thought.

"Yeah, Anna. Sorry."

"Are you okay?"

"Yeah, I'm okay. Just thinking about the conversation with Darius last night."

Anna smiles sheepishly. "I see that you two getting along quite fast. He's a catch, isn't he?"

I'm blushing. I don't know why I'm blushing. "He's okay, I guess."

"He's more than okay, otherwise your face wouldn't be all red when I mention him." Anna laughs. "So, which friends do you want to invite?"

"I don't know."

"You don't have any close friends?"

"Would you handle the guest lists? I'm sure any family and ladies in socialite club would be over the moon if we send the invitation to them."

"Why are you not in socialite club?"

"Because, I don't feel like I'm gonna fit in?"

"Is that an answer or a question?"

I let out a sigh. "The girls in socialite club, they gather talking about family money, who have more money than whom. Then talking about rich boys they encounter in the party. Talk about the conquest and scores they made. Not my audience I guess."

"And who's exactly your audience?"

"You?" Anna bursts in a laugh.

"Oh, honey. It's kind of sad that your friend is your stepmother, isn't it ?"

"I thought we're best friend?"

"We are." Anna hugs me. Tightly.

---

The day of my engagement is here. Anna was so busy preparing for this party. I look at the mirror. Anna and Jack said I look really pretty in my baby blue dress. I take a look at my hair, making sure it looks perfect. For what occasion I don't even know because I surely don't want to appear at my own engagement party.

The guests already arrived. I can see the crowd from my bedroom window. Dad insisted that the party will be held in our house. He wanted a garden party. I just wish that God pours a very heavy rain. A storm will be more great, so I can say that it's a sign that I shouldn't marry Darius.

But, when I see the beautiful clear blue sky from my garden I kind of sad.

"You look sad for someone who's getting engaged."

I turn around to see who it is. It's Alex.

"Hi, Alex. Welcome." He looks so dashing in his suit. Is he single or taken I wonder.

"You look beautiful, Jenna." Alex maintains his distance.

"Thank you. So do you." I smile.

"You weren't joking when you said you like wearing long sleeves." Alex point at my long sleeves dress.

"Can I tell you a secret?" He lowers his ear to my face. "I rarely make jokes." I whisper making him laugh.

I walk with Alex and mingle with other guests. Alex is a very nice company. I know most of them from the business magazine. But, Alex really knows almost every single one of them. I can see Darius is staring at both of us. I don't know why but I touch Alex's arm. Alex seems surprised but then he put his arm around my shoulders while keep talking to the guests. I take another glance at Darius' direction but I can't see him anywhere.